How It Happened
Dayton connected on two 3-pointers on its final two possessions of the game, pulling away for a 75-74 win at the Ryan Center on Friday night.
Rhody led 73-69 with 24 seconds left, after Kuran Iverson connected on two free throws. After the Flyers first made their first late 3FG, E.C. Matthews was fouled and made 1-of-2 from the line, giving Rhody a 74-72 advantage. URI could not convert on its final chance at the basket.
The Rams started hot offensively, using a 9-2 run - capped by a traditional 3-point play by Nicola Akele - to take an 18-10 lead with 10:04 left in the half. Dayton responded with seven straight points, cutting it to one at 18-17 with 8:01 to go in the half.
An 11-1 run gave Rhody its largest lead of the ballgame - 11 points - after a Jared Terrell free throw made it 29-18 at the 3:42 mark. UD would chip away down the closing minutes of the half and URI would take a 36-30 lead into the break. The Rams connected on 51.9% from the floor to just 27.6% for the Flyers.
Dayton scored the first seven points of the second half, taking its first lead of the ballgame with 17:13 left, - 37-36. The two teams traded baskets and the lead the rest of the way, with 10 lead changes and six ties down the stretch.
Inside the Box Score
- Kuran Iverson led all scorers with a career-high 20 points. He made 7-of-12 shots from the floor, including 3-of-4 from beyond the arc and 3-of-4 from the charity stripe. He added seven boards in 33 minutes.
- E.C. Matthews scored 14 of his 16 in the second half to go along with five rebounds, an assist and a steal.
- Hassan Martin and Jared Terrell each scored 15 points on the night.
- Martin was 4-of-6 from the field and 7-of-9 from the line. The 6-8 senior blocked three more shots, bringing his career total to 304.
- Terrell knocked down 2-of-5 from beyond the arc while dishing out two assists and notching two steals.
- Jeff Dowtin added five points, three boards, two assists, two blocked shots and a steal in 23 minutes.
- Rhode Island shot 45.1% from the floor (23-51), including connecting on 7-of-18 from beyond the arc. The Rams were 21-of-32 from the foul line.
- Dayton won the battle of the boards, 36-34, including a 12-9 edge on the offensive glass.
- In total, there were 69 free throw attempts and 51 fouls called.
- Rhody dished out 12 assists while committing 11 turnovers. URI blocked eight shots and forced 12 steals.
Stat of the Game, pt. I
0.91:1 - For the first time in four games, Rhode Island registered more turnovers than assists.
Stat of the Game, pt. II
8 - For the eighth time this season, Rhode Island blocked at least eight shots in a game.
Rhode Island hosts Fordham on Wednesday, Feb. 15 in the lone meeting between the two Rams basketball squads.
The game will be available on Facebook Live and myRITV, at 7 p.m. Eric Frede and Chris DiSano will provide the broadcast call.
The game can be heard live locally on the Rhody Sports Network on B101 (101.5 FM) and through the iHeartMedia app, with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull.