How It Happened
Rhode Island struggled out of the game, as Richmond jumped out to a 9-0 lead less than three minutes into the contest. The Rams used a 9-4 push, capped by a jumper from Jared Terrell to make it 13-9 with 13:47 left in the first half.
Hassan Martin's layup with 6:08 left in the period again trimmed the Rhody deficit to four (20-16) before Richmond closed out the half on an 11-2 run, taking a 31-18 lead at the break.
The Spiders built on their lead in the second half, pushing it to as many as 21 points at 52-31 with 10:11 to play. A 14-2 Rhode Island run over the next 3:50 got the margin to single-digits, as a jumper from Terrell made it 54-45 with 6:21 to play.
The Rams' pressure forced turnovers on four of the next five possessions, but they were unable to capitalize on the scoreboard and get any closer.
Inside the Box Score
- Kuran Iverson corralled a career-high 23 rebounds (11 offensive; 12 defensive) on the night. It marked the fifth-best single-game rebounding performance in Rhode Island history and was the most rebounds by a URI player in a game since Art Stephenson has 22 boards vs. Boston College on Feb. 14, 1967. He also had nine points, two assists, two steals, and a blocked shot in 31 minutes.
- E.C. Matthews scored 14 of his 16 points in the second half. He was 6-of-15 from the floor, including 1-of-8 from the perimeter.
- Jared Terrell added 11 points - nine coming over the final 20 minutes of play. He also had three rebounds, two assists, and two steals.
- Hassan Martin had eight points and six rebounds in 24 minutes. Martin was 4-for-12 from the floor.
- Jeff Dowtin registered a game and career-high four steals to go along with four points, five rebounds and two assists (zero turnovers).
- Christion Thompson played a season-high 22 minutes off the bench, contributing five points, four boards, three steals and an assist.
- The Rams had their worst shooting night of the season from the floor (33.8%, 26-77), from the perimeter (10.5%, 2-19), and the free throw line (40.0%, 8-20).
- Rhody corralled 51 rebounds (21 offensive, 30 defensive) and committed a season-high 18 turnovers. URI's 13 steals tied a season-high (Saint Joseph's).
Stat of the Game, pt. I
40 - Rhode Island scored 40 of its 62 points in the paint, including 28 in the second half.
Stat of the Game, pt. II
23 - Kuran Iverson's 23 boards were the most in a single-game in the A-10 this season and the fifth-highest single-game total in the country so far this season.
Rhode Island returns home for a pair of home games to close out January, hosting St. Bonaventure on Saturday, Jan. 28. The game will air live nationally on the NBC Sports Network, beginning at 2 p.m. It was originally slated for a 4 p.m. start. The game can be heard live locally on the Rhody Sports Network on B101 (101.5 FM) and through the iHeartMedia app.