Rhody Game Day Central
Gamenotes: at Duquesne
TV: NBC Sports Network
Radio: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM)
RHODE ISLAND VS. DUQUESNE - ALL-TIME SERIES
- Rhode Island leads the all-time series, 31-25, which began in the 1965-66 season.
- Last season, URI held on for a 77-74 home victory over the Dukes on Feb. 20, 2016.
- The Rams edged Duquesne, 61-60, on Jan. 10, 2015 in Pittsburgh.
- The Rams lead all-time series, 13-12, in games played at Duquesne.
- Seven of the last 10 meetings have been decided by five points or less.
- Head coach Dan Hurley and Dukes' head coach Jim Ferry met on four occasions when the two coached at Wagner and LIU, respectively.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81 in the Eastern 8, Rhode Island has posted a 265-321 all-time record in Atlantic 10 regular season conference play.
- Last year, the Rams were 9-9 and the #7 seed in the 2016 A-10 Championship.
- In 2014-15, Rhody posted a 13-5 Atlantic 10 record, tying for second place.
- The 13 A-10 wins were the second-highest total in school history (14 - 1987-88).
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - JANUARY 21
- Rhode Island is 9-9 overall and 3-6 in A-10 games - in games played on January 21.
- Included in those six A-10 losses was a 72-55 home loss to Duquesne in 2004.
- January 21 marks the celebration of National Granola Bar and National Hugging Days.
- The first nuclear-powered submarine - USS Nautilus - launches on January 21, 1954.
- On Jan. 21, 1919: the Irish Declaration of Independence was adopted by the Dáil Éireann, claiming Ireland's independence from the U.K.
- On this date in 1976: British Airways and Air France's first commercial flights of the Concorde took off from London and Paris, respectively.
- Notable January 21 birthdays: Hakeem Olajuwon, Jack Nicklaus, Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson, and Emma Bunton (Baby Spice).
RHODE ISLAND'S SCHEDULE: ONE OF THE BEST IN THE NATION
- Through games of Jan. 18, Rhode Island's non-conference strength of schedule (SOS) is 19th nationally. URI's overall SOS is 34.
- Rhody faced two top 25 - Cincinnati (15), Duke (17), - and six total top 100 foes in the non-conference - Providence (53), Houston (61), Valpo (62), and Belmont (99).
- The average RPI of the six losses this season - 47.5. Total point differential in those six games - 36 points.
- Five A-10 opponents (eight total games) are also top 100 RPI teams: Dayton (28), VCU (45), La Salle (64), Massachusetts (86), and St. Bonaventure (96).
- In total, Rhode Island's schedule features 11 top 100 RPI opponents over 14 total games in non-conference and A-10 play.
- KenPom.com rankings features 10 top 100 opponents: Duke (11), Cincinnati (20), Dayton (37), Houston (42), VCU (55), Providence (64), Davidson (80), St. Bonaventure (83), La Salle (84), and Valpo (92).
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACTS YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- The UMass game was the second time this season that the Rams erased a double-digit deficit to comeback to win (Cincinnati - 12).
- Rhody also erased a 15-point deficit last year at Brown. URI came back from 17 points down vs. Charlotte on Feb. 12, 2011.
- Hassan Martin would rank second nationally in blocks (3.67 bpg) and FG% (63.4%) if he qualified for the 75% of games minimum.
- Rhode Island has tallied 11 or fewer turnovers in 11 of 17 games this year. It did so in 16 of 32 games a season ago.
- E.C. Matthews ranks 74th among all active players in scoring - and fourth among all juniors/third-year players - with 1,258 points.
THE MASSACHUSETTS GAME - TRENDS, FACTS, FIGURES, AND OTHER STUFF
- Rhode Island erased a 15-point deficit (31-16) with 5:31 left in the first half. URI outscored UMass, 62-37, over the next 24:17.
- E.C. Matthews scored 16 of his game-high 22 points in the second half. He scored 11 of the Rams' 15 points during a key late stretch.
- Rhody connected on four 3FG, marking the first time in A-10 play that the Rams did not make at least 10 treys.
- Jeff Dowtin earned his first collegiate start, playing 32 minutes and contributing 11 points and four assists.
SUPER MARIO RUN
- The Super Mario Brothers - E.C. Matthews and Hassan Martin - have played together in 76 career games.
- Rhode Island is 44-32 in those games, including a 30-15 mark over their last 45 games on the floor together.
- Over the past two seasons, Matthews and Martin have appeared in the same game on just 11 occasions - 10 coming this season.
- Last time out vs. UMass, Matthews (22) and Martin (17) combined for 39 points - close to 50% of the Rhody scoring.
- When Matthews and Martin each score in double figures this season, URI is 6-0.
- Since 2013-14, the Rams are 19-9 when Matthews and Martin each tally 10 or more points in the same game.
LEAVE NO DOWTIN
- Freshman Jeff Dowtin has become one of the most valuable sixth-man players in the Atlantic 10.
- Over the past six games, the 6-3 guard is averaging 8.5 points in 19.5 minutes of play, connecting on 60.0% from 3FG (9-15).
- He earned his first collegiate start last time out vs. UMass, scoring 11 points and dishing out four assists in 32 minutes.
- He was a perfect 5-for-5 from the floor, scoring 12 points at Saint Louis en route to earning A-10 Rookie of the Week honors.
- On Jan. 12, Dowtin scored 11 points, connecting on 3-of-6 from beyond the arc versus La Salle.
- Through 16 games, Rhode Island ranks third in the A-10 in scoring defense overall (66.3) - which ranks 57th nationally.
- URI is one of 13 teams nationally to lead its respective conference in scoring defense in each of the last two seasons.
- Additionally, URI is one of 15 teams to rank among the top 30 nationally in scoring defense in each of the last two years.
- The Rams held their opponents to an A-10 best 64.8 points per game in 2015-16 and 60.2 points per outing in 2014-15.
A GRAND PLAN: MARTIN, MATTHEWS JOIN RHODE ISLAND'S 1,000 POINT CLUB; TERRELL UP NEXT
- Hassan Martin became the 53rd player in Rhode Island history to reach the 1,000 point mark at Valpo on Nov. 29.
- In the season opener on Nov. 11, E.C. Matthews scored his 1,000th career point career at home vs. Dartmouth on Nov. 11.
- Jared Terrell (971) also has the 1,000 point mark on his radar this season, needing 29 more points to reach the milestone.
- Prior to Matthews, the last Rhody player to reach the 1,000 point mark was Xavier Munford in 2014.
- Rhode Island has never had more than two players reach the 1,000-point mark in the same season.
- Over the past seven games, the Rhody bench is averaging 22.1 points and 14.0 rebounds, while shooting 50.4% from the floor.
- Rhody reserves are also averaging 4.6 assists, 2.7 steals, 1.3 blocks and posting a 1.50:1 assist/turnover ratio.
- Stanford Robinson is averaging 8.3 points, 3.0 rebounds, 2.3 assists, and has a 4.00:1 assist/turnover ratio in 22 minutes per game.
- Jeff Dowtin earned the start on Jan. 15, but was averaging 7.5 ppg and shooting 56.7% FG (17-30) and 60.0% from 3FG (9-15).
- Nicola Akele is averaging 17.4 minutes off the bench, recording 3.6 points and 3.4 rebounds while connecting on 57.9% FG.
- Cyril Langevine is chipping in with 4.3 rebounds in 12 minutes of reserve play over the last four games.
MARTIN RANKS AMONG NCAA LEADERS IN BLOCKED SHOTS, FIELD GOAL PERCENTAGE
- Hassan Martin ranks second among active Division I players in career blocks (292) and third in blocked shot average (2.83 bpg).
- His 58.2% career field goal percentage (417-717) is the 19th-best shooting proficiency mark among all active players.
- Because of missed time due to injury, he falls under the NCAA minimum of 75% of games played for 2016-17 individual statistics.
- Through 12 games this season, Martin has 44 blocks - a per-game average of 3.67 which would rank #2 nationally.
- He needs 36 blocks to become URI's all-time career leader, passing Kenny Green (328 blocks, 1985-90).
- Martin ranks 10th all-time in Atlantic 10 history in total blocks and needs two more to move past Fordham's Bryant Dunston (294).
- In 2015-16, the 6-7 forward led the A-10 in blocks for the third consecutive year, averaging 2.5 swats per game.
- Martin finished the 2015-16 campaign ranked 18th in blocks per game and 41st in total blocks (65) nationally.
- Additionally, he needs six more blocks to pass St. Bonaventure's Caswell Cyrus (289) to crack the A-10's top 10 blocked shots list.
RHODY RECORD BOOK RESET
t31: E.C. Matthews - 1,258 points ; needs 10 more points to pass Kahiem Seawright (2005-09, 1,268 points)
49: Hassan Martin - 1,057 points; needs 20 more points to pass Dave Stenhouse (1952-55, 1,077 points)
NR: Jared Terrell - 971 points; needs 29 more points to become the 54th member of the URI 1,000 point club.
NR: Hassan Martin - 660 rebounds; needs 57 more rebounds to crack URI's career top 10 list
10: Jarvis Garrett - 304 assists; needs 18 to pass Preston Murphy (322, 1995-99)
1: Hassan Martin - 58.2%; is currently Rhody's career FG% leader
2: Hassan Martin - 292 blocks; needs 36 more blocks to become URI's all-time blocks leader
t7: E.C. Matthews - 150 3-pointers made; needs six more made 3FG to pass Abdul Fox (149, 1990-94)