Rhody Game Day Central
Gamenotes: vs. Massachusetts
TV: NBC Sports Network
Radio: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM)
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS MASSACHUSETTS
- Rhode Island and long-time rival Massachusetts meet for the 149th time today.
- The Minutemen are Rhode Island's second most-common opponent.
- URI is 60-88 all-time vs. UMass, which dates back to the 1907-08 season.
- The teams split their 2015-16 regular season series.
- The Minutemen took a 61-56 overtime decision at the Mullins Center on Feb. 2.
- The Rams won, 68-50, at the Thomas M. Ryan Center on March 3.
- UMass earned a 67-62 victory over URI in the A-10 Championship on March 10.
- Rhody is 39-30 against UMass at home and 7-7 in games at the Ryan Center.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81 in the Eastern 8, Rhode Island has posted a 264-321 all-time record in Atlantic 10 regular season conference play.
- Last year, the Rams were 9-9 and the #7 seed in the 2016 A-10 Championship.
- In 2014-15, Rhody posted a 13-5 Atlantic 10 record, tying for second place.
- The 13 A-10 wins were the second-highest total in school history (14 - 1987-88).
RHODE ISLAND AT THE ALEX AND ANI COURT AT THE THOMAS M. RYAN CENTER
- Rhode Island holds a 153-76 all-time record in the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
- Rhody is 66-50 in Atlantic 10 play at the Ryan Center, including back-to-back 7-2 marks in home league games in 2014-15 and 2015-16.
- URI has won 19 of its last 21 and 28 of its last 32 home non-conference games.
- The Rams are 88-26 in overall non-conference games, including a 79-25 record in the regular season.
- Last season marked the 11th time in venue history that the Rams won 10 or more home games in a single season.
- Rhode Island's inaugural victory in the building was a 73-71 OT affair vs. USC (Nov. 26, 2002).
- Rhody's home game on Dec. 6, 2016 - a 51-39 victory over ODU - marked the 150th all-time win at the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - JANUARY 15
- Rhode Island is 15-8 overall and 3-4 in A-10 games - in games played on the January 15 calendar date.
- Included in those three league wins was a 60-54 victory over UMass in 2003 at the Mullins Center.
- January 15 marks the dual celebrations of National Hat Day and National Strawberry Ice Cream Day.
- On this date in 1892: the official rules of "Basket. Ball." are printed in Triangle Magazine, the official publication of Springfield College.
- On Jan. 15, 1975, Space Mountain welcomed its first riders at Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif.
- The online encyclopedia Wikipedia was launched online on Jan. 15, 2001.
- Notable January 15 birthdays: civil rights activist Dr Martin Luther King Jr. and novelist Ernest J. Gaines.
RHODE ISLAND'S SCHEDULE: ONE OF THE BEST IN THE NATION
- Through games of Jan. 13, Rhode Island's non-conference strength of schedule (SOS) is 24th nationally. URI's overall SOS is 37.
- Rhody faced two top 25 - Duke (12), Cincinnati (17) - and five total top 100 foes in the non-conference - Houston (63), Valpo (68), and Providence (70).
- The average RPI of the six losses this season - 51.6. Total point differential in those six games - 36 points.
- Seven A-10 opponents (12 total games) are also top 100 RPI teams: VCU (25), Dayton (30), La Salle (67), Saint Joseph's (76), Massachusetts (82), Davidson (90), and St. Bonaventure (100). Belmont (102) sits just outside the top 100.
- In total, Rhode Island's schedule features 12 top 100 RPI opponents over 17 total games in non-conference and A-10 play.
- KenPom.com rankings features nine top 100 opponents: Duke (10), Cincinnati (19), Houston (36), Dayton (39), VCU (47), Providence (76), Davidson (85), and St. Bonaventure (95).
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACTS YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Rhody has made at least 10 3-pointers in four consecutive games. The last time that happened was the 2006-07 season.
- The 47 3FG made against SLU, SJU, Dayton, and La Salle is the highest total number made over a four-game span in program history.
- Coming into this season, Stanford Robinson had connected on three career 3FG in his first two seasons at Indiana.
- The junior guard has made two 3-pointers in each of the last two games and is 10-for-28 on the year - good for close to 36%.
THE LA SALLE GAME - TRENDS, FACTS, FIGURES, AND OTHER STUFF
- Rhode Island led for just 2:30 against La Salle, with the game being tied for a total of 18 seconds.
- Led by Jeff Dowtin (11), Stanford Robinson (10), and Cyril Langevine (6), Rhody's bench scored 31 points.
- The 21-point halftime deficit was the largest for the Rams since Jan. 11, 2014, when they trailed 37-13 at George Washington.
- The 87 points yielded tied for the most by an opponent in the Dan Hurley era. Arizona also scored 87 points on Nov. 19, 2013.
THREE IS THE MAGIC NUMBER VS. SAINT JOSEPH'S
- Rhode Island set a new single-game record with 16 3-pointers made on Jan. 3 against Saint Joseph's.
- After missing its first five 3FG attempts and starting the game 1-for-7 from the perimeter, Rhody made its next seven trifectas.
- The Rams connected on 9-of-17 in the first half (52.9%) before knocking down 7-of-13 (53.8%) 3FG in the second half.
- Kuran Iverson's 3-pointer with 4:30 to play set the new record. The previous high was 15 - vs. Stonehill, Dec. 20, 1986.
- Seven different players made at least one 3-pointer, led by five apiece by E.C. Matthews and Jared Terrell.
- The 16 3-pointers are also an Atlantic 10 single-game season high so far in 2016-17.
LEAVE NO DOWTIN
- Freshman Jeff Dowtin has become one of the most valuable sixth-man players in the Atlantic 10.
- Over the past five games, the 6-3 guard is averaging 8.0 points in 17.0 minutes of play, connecting on 66.7% from 3FG (8-12).
- He was a perfect 5-for-5 from the floor, scoring 12 points at Saint Louis en route to earning A-10 Rookie of the Week honors.
- Last time out, Dowtin scored 11 points, connecting on 3-of-6 from beyond the arc versus La Salle.
- Since Nov. 29, he has committed just two turnovers over a 10-game span (137 minutes).
- Through 16 games, Rhode Island ranks second in the A-10 in scoring defense overall (65.6) and in league play only (67.0).
- The 65.3 points per game allowed ranks 52nd nationally in scoring defense.
- URI is one of 13 teams nationally to lead its respective conference in scoring defense in each of the last two seasons.
- Additionally, URI is one of 15 teams to rank among the top 30 nationally in scoring defense in each of the last two years.
- The Rams held their opponents to an A-10 best 64.8 points per game in 2015-16 and 60.2 points per outing in 2014-15.
- Over the past six games, the Rhody bench is averaging 23.3 points and 13.5 rebounds, while shooting 50.5% from the floor.
- Rhody reserves are also averaging 5.0 assists, 3.2 steals, 1.2 blocks and posting a 1.50:1 assist/turnover ratio.
- Stanford Robinson is averaging 8.5 points, 3.0 rebounds, 2.5 assists, and has a 3.75:1 assist/turnover ratio in 23 minutes per game.
- Jeff Dowtin is averaging 7.5 points per game while shooting 56.7% from the floor (17-30) and 60.0% from 3FG (9-15).
- Nicola Akele is averaging 18.3 minutes off the bench, recording 3.8 points and 3.2 rebounds while connecting on 55.6% FG.
- Cyril Langevine is chipping in with 4.7 rebounds in 12 minutes of reserve play over the last three games.