Rhody Game Day Central
Gamenotes: at Dayton
Radio: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM)
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS DAYTON
- The Rams face Dayton for the 31st time overall in the history of the two programs.
- UD leads the all-time series, 16-14 which dates back to the 1939-40 season.
- Rhody and Dayton split their 2015-16 regular season series, with the road team earning the win in each meeting.
- The last three meetings have been decided by a total of 16 points.
- URI is 5-8 vs. Dayton and is 6-10 all-time at UD Arena (2003, 2004 A-10 Tourney).
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81 in the Eastern 8, Rhode Island has posted a 264-320 all-time record in Atlantic 10 regular season conference play.
- Last year, the Rams were 9-9 and the #7 seed in the 2016 A-10 Championship.
- In 2014-15, Rhody posted a 13-5 Atlantic 10 record, tying for second place.
- The 13 A-10 wins were the second-highest total in school history (14 - 1987-88).
RHODE ISLAND'S SCHEDULE: ONE OF THE BEST IN THE NATION
- Through games of Jan. 4, Rhode Island's non-conference strength of schedule (SOS) is 17th nationally. URI's overall SOS is 36.
- URI is one of three top 50 RPI teams to have played three true road games in the non-conference vs. top 60 opponents.
- Rhody has faced two top 25 - Duke (13), Cincinnati (25) - and five total top 100 - Providence (52), Valpo (56), Houston (60)- foes.
- The average RPI of the four losses this season - 45.3. Total point differential in those games - 21 points.
- Six A-10 opponents (10 total games) are also top 100 RPI teams: Dayton (30), VCU (32), Saint Joseph's (62), Davidson (77), La Salle (96), St. Bonaventure (100). Massachusetts (102) sits just outside the top 100.
- In total, Rhode Island's schedule features 11 top 100 RPI opponents over 15 total games in non-conference and A-10 play.
- KenPom.com rankings features nine top 100 opponents: Duke (4), Cincinnati (17), Dayton (31), Houston (42), VCU (53), Providence (67), Davidson (69), Valpo (84), and St. Bona (87).
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - JANUARY 6
- Rhode Island is 16-11 overall and 4-3 in A-10 games all-time on the January 6 calendar date.
- January 6 marks the dual celebrations of National Cuddle Up Day and National Technology Day.
- On this date in 1605: the first edition of Cervantes' "Don Quixote" is published in Madrid.
- On Jan. 6, 1912, President William H. Taft signs the proclamation ratifying New Mexico as the 47th state.
- Two groundbreaking TV shows debuted on Jan. 6 in 1973 (SchoolHouse Rock) and 1975 (Wheel of Fortune).
- Notable January 6 birthdays: explorer John Smith, poet Carl Sandburg, pro football Hall of Famer Howie Long, and Joan of Arc.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACTS YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Rhode Island registered its third game with at least 20 assists last time out vs. Saint Joseph's.
- The last time URI had at least three games with 20+ assists was the 2009-10 season. That year, Rhody did it on seven occasions.
- The Saint Joseph's game marked the first time in 47 opportunities that E.C. Matthews and Jared Terrell each scored at least 20 points.
- Cyril Langevine is averaging 15.5 rebounds per 40 minutes.
THE SAINT JOSEPH'S GAME - TRENDS, FACTS, FIGURES, AND OTHER STUFF
- The Rams set a new school record with 16 made 3-pointers, as seven different Ram players connected from beyond the arc.
- Rhode Island registered a season-high 13 steals - the most in a game since also tallying 13 steals on Jan. 3, 2015 at Saint Louis
- The 30-point margin of victory was the largest in the 99-game history. The previous high was 28 points - 91-63 - on Jan. 20, 1945.
- Three Rams - Jarvis Garrett (7), E.C. Matthews (5), and Jared Terrell (5) combined for 17 of Rhody's 22 assists.
THREE IS THE MAGIC NUMBER VS. SAINT JOSEPH'S
- Rhode Island set a new single-game record with 16 3-pointers made last time out against Saint Joseph's.
- After missing its first five 3FG attempts and starting the game 1-for-7 from the perimeter, Rhody made its next seven trifectas.
- The Rams connected on 9-of-17 in the first half (52.9%) before knocking down 7-of-13 (53.8%) 3FG in the second half.
- Kuran Iverson's 3-pointer with 4:30 to play set the new record. The previous high was 15 - vs. Stonehill, Dec. 20, 1986.
- Seven different players made at least one 3-pointer, led by five apiece by E.C. Matthews and Jared Terrell.
- The 16 3-pointers are also an Atlantic 10 single-game season high so far in 2016-17.
30 FOR 30
- Rhode Island has posted consecutive 30-point victories for the first time since the 1996-97 season.
- That year, URI downed FDU, 115-60, on Nov. 30, 1996 before beating Brown, 86-49, in its next game on Dec. 4, 1996.
- It also marks the first time since 1996-97 that Rhody has posted two Atlantic 10 victories of 30 points or more.
- The Rams beat La Salle, 92-61, on Feb. 6, 1997 and Fordham, 110-72, on Feb. 11, 1997.
- Overall, Rhody has three victories of 30 points or more this season. The last time that happened was 2014-15.
- Through 14 games, Rhode Island again leads the Atlantic 10 in scoring defense overall (64.0) and A-10 games only (57.0).
- The 64.0 points per game allowed ranks 36th nationally in scoring defense.
- URI is one of 13 teams nationally to lead its respective conference in scoring defense in each of the last two seasons.
- Additionally, URI is one of 15 teams to rank among the top 30 nationally in scoring defense in each of the last two years.
- The Rams held their opponents to an A-10 best 64.8 points per game in 2015-16 and 60.2 points per outing in 2014-15.
A GRAND PLAN: MARTIN, MATTHEWS JOIN RHODE ISLAND'S 1,000 POINT CLUB; TERRELL UP NEXT
- Hassan Martin became the 53rd player in Rhode Island history to reach the 1,000 point mark at Valpo on Nov. 29.
- In the season opener on Nov. 11, E.C. Matthews scored his 1,000th career point career at home vs. Dartmouth on Nov. 11.
- Jared Terrell (946) also has the 1,000 point mark on his radar this season, needing 54 more points to reach the milestone.
- Prior to Matthews, the last Rhody player to reach the 1,000 point mark was Xavier Munford in 2014.
- Rhode Island has never had more than two players reach the 1,000-point mark in the same season.
- Over the past four games, the Rhody bench is averaging 22.3 points and 14.3 rebounds, while shooting 51.4% from the floor.
- Rhody reserves are also averaging 4.8 assists, 4.3 steals, 1.8 blocks and posting a 1.50:1 assist/turnover ratio.
- Jeff Dowtin leads the way, averaging 7.3 points per game while shooting 64.7% from the floor (11-17) and 62.5% from 3FG (5-8).
- Stanford Robinson is averaging 7.0 points, 3.0 rebounds, 3.0 assists, and has a 6.00:1 assist/turnover ratio in 23 minutes per game.
- Nicola Akele is averaging close to 22 minutes off the bench, recording 4.3 points and 3.5 rebounds while connecting on 58.3% FG.
- Prior to the past four games, Rhody reserves were averaging 14.5 points and shooting just under 40.0% (54-136) from the floor.
LANGEVINE ANNOUNCING PRESENCE WITH AUTHORITY
- Cyril Langevine is emerging as one of the top rebounding forwards in the Atlantic 10 and among all freshman nationally.
- He grabbed 10 rebounds in 16 minutes off the bench against Saint Joseph's - his fourth double-digit rebounding game of the season.
- On Dec. 22, Langevine grabbed 17 rebounds - seven on the offensive glass and 10 defensive boards - vs. William & Mary.
- It marked the second-highest rebounding total in Ryan Center history (19 - Kahiem Seawright vs. Houston, Nov. 13, 2006).
- The 17 rebounds tied for a season-high among Rhody players and also tied for the single-game high in the A-10 so far this year.
- The freshman forward tallied his first collegiate double-double on Dec. 10 at Houston, with 10 points and 11 rebounds.
- Since Dec. 6, Langevine is averaging 5.0 points, 10.0 rebounds, and 1.8 blocks per game.
- Through the first eight games of the season, Langevine averaged less than 10 minutes of play per game.
SUPER MARIO RUN
- The Super Mario Brothers - E.C. Matthews and Hassan Martin - have played together in 73 career games.
- Rhode Island is 43-30 in those games, including a 29-13 mark over their last 42 games on the floor together.
- Over the past two seasons, Matthews and Martin have appeared in the same game on just 10 occasions - nine coming this season.
RHODY RECORD BOOK RESET
t38. E.C. Matthews tied with Dave Ricerto (1959-62, 1,213 points)
53. Hassan Martin 1,031 points; needs 10 more points to pass Dustin Hellenga (2001-04, 1,040 points)
NR Jared Terrell 946 points; needs 54 more points to become the 54th member of the URI 1,000 point club.
NR Hassan Martin 651 rebounds; needs 66 more rebounds to crack URI's career top 10 list
10. Jarvis Garrett 297 assists; needs 25 to pass Preston Murphy (322, 1995-99)
1. Hassan Martin 58.3%; is currently Rhody's career FG% leader
2. Hassan Martin 283 blocks; needs 45 more blocks to become URI's all-time blocks leader
9. E.C. Matthews 144 3-pointers made; needs two more made 3FG to pass Cuttino Mobley (146, 1994-98)