Rhody Game Day Central
Gamenotes: vs. Saint Joseph's
TV: CBS Sports Network
Radio: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM)
Internet: iHeartRadio.com (audio)
$10 Tickets - Sit in the Student Section for just $10 per ticket!
Weeknight Value Pack - For just $25, get two tickets and two popcorns
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS SAINT JOSEPH'S
- Rhode Island faces Saint Joseph's in the first of two regular season meetings.
- SJU holds a 56-42 lead in the all-time series record, which began in 1940-41.
- The Hawks won both regular season meetings a season ago: 72-67 on Hawk Hill on Jan. 10, 2016 and 64-55 on Jan. 30 in Kingston.
- The average margin of victory over the last five games is 6.4 points.
- Rhody is 24-22 all-time vs. Saint Joseph's in Kingston.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81 in the Eastern 8, Rhode Island has posted a 263-320 all-time record in Atlantic 10 regular season conference play.
- Last year, the Rams were 9-9 and the #7 seed in the 2016 A-10 Championship.
- In 2014-15, Rhody posted a 13-5 Atlantic 10 record, tying for second place.
- The 13 A-10 wins were the second-highest total in school history (14 - 1987-88).
RHODE ISLAND AT THE ALEX AND ANI COURT AT THE THOMAS M. RYAN CENTER
- Rhode Island holds a 152-75 all-time record in the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
- Rhody is 65-49 in Atlantic 10 play at the Ryan Center, including back-to-back 7-2 marks in home league games in 2014-15 and 2015-16.
- URI has won 19 of its last 21 and 28 of its last 32 home non-conference games.
- The Rams are 88-26 in overall non-conference games, including a 79-25 record in the regular season.
- Last season marked the 11th time in venue history that the Rams won 10 or more home games in a single season.
- Rhode Island's inaugural victory in the building was a 73-71 OT affair vs. USC (Nov. 26, 2002).
- Rhody's home game on Dec. 6, 2016 - a 51-39 victory over ODU - marked the 150th all-time win at the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
RHODE ISLAND'S SCHEDULE: ONE OF THE BEST IN THE NATION
- Through games of Jan. 1, Rhode Island's non-conference trength of schedule (SOS) is 24th nationally.
- URI is one of six top 50 RPI teams to have played three true road games in the non-conference vs. top 100 opponents.
- Rhody has faced three top 50 - Duke (13), Cincinnati (24), and Providence (50) - and five top 100 - Valpo (55) and Houston (67) foes.
- The average RPI of the four losses this season - 49. Total point differential in those games - 21 points.
- Six A-10 opponents (12 total games) are also top 100 RPI teams: VCU (31), Dayton (44), Saint Joseph's (62), Davidson (69), St. Bonaventure (84), La Salle (89), Massachusetts (95).
- KenPom.com rankings features 11 top 100 opponents: Duke (7), Cincinnati (19), Dayton (38), Houston (41), VCU (51), Davidson (67), Providence (68), St. Bona (77), Valpo (85), and La Salle (100). ODU is 101 and Saint Joseph's is 103.
- In total, Rhode Island's schedule features 12 top 100 opponents over 17 total games in non-conference and A-10 play.
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - JANUARY 3
- Rhode Island is 11-10 overall and 5-4 in A-10 games all-time on January 3, including a 68-65 win over Saint Joseph's in 1989.
- January 3 marks the dual celebrations of National Fruitcake Toss Day and National Drinking Straw Day.
- On this date in 1977: the Apple Computer company is incorporated.
- Also on this date in 1996, the first-ever flip phone - the Motorola StarTac - goes on sale for the first time.
- Notable January 3 birthdays: Beatles producer Sir George Martin, actor Robert Loggia, civil rights activist Lucretia Mott.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACTS YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Rhode Island is scoring 1.11 points per possession this season, including a season-best 1.34 PPP at Saint Louis on Jan. 3.
- The Rams are limiting opponents to under 45% shooting from inside the arc. URI foes are connecting on 44.7% of its 2-pointers.
- URI is 4-0 this season when Kuran Iverson is whistled for one foul or fewer in the first half, and 13-5 over the last two seasons.
MORE RHODE ISLAND FACTS YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT (UPDATING SOME OF THE OLD ONES)
- E.C. Matthews, Jarvis Garrett, and Jared Terrell have played together in 47 career games.
- During that span, the backcourt trio have scored in double figures in the same game on five occasions - including last time out at SLU (Matthews 17; Garrett 15; Terrell 12).
- Rhody has five games with less than 10 turnovers and rank 11th nationally in turnover total (136) and turnovers per game (10.6).
- Stanford Robinson has connected on five 3-pointers in 13 games this season. He made three total 3FG in his 64 games at Indiana.
THE SAINT LOUIS GAME - TRENDS, FACTS, FIGURES, AND OTHER STUFF
- Five Rams reached double figures in the scoring column for the second time this season. The other instance was Marist.
- Kuran Iverson tied his career-high in scoring (19 points), while Jeff Dowtin scored a season-best 12 points on 5-5 FG shooting.
- The 34-point margin of victory was the largest since a 39-point win over Delaware State on Dec. 13, 2014.
- It was also the largest margin of victory in Atlantic 10 play since Feb. 11, 1997, when Rhody beat Fordham 110-72 (38 points).
DOWTIN NAMED ATLANTIC 10 ROOKIE OF THE WEEK
- Jeff Dowtin was named the Atlantic 10 Co-Rookie of the Week, it was announced by the league office on Jan. 2.
- Dowtin scored a career-best 12 points (5-5 FG; 2-2 3FG) in Rhody's 90-54 victory at Saint Louis in the A-10 opener on Dec. 30.
- He also added three rebounds and an assist in 19 minutes of play versus the Billikens.
- It is the second straight game in which Dowtin registered a career-high in scoring. He had nine points against W&M on Dec. 22.
- This marks the 13th time during the Dan Hurley era that a Rhode Island earned A-10 Rookie of the Week honors.
- Over the past three games, the Rhody bench is averaging 23.3 points and 12.0 rebounds, while shooting 56.9% from the floor.
- Rhody reserves are also averaging 5.0 assists, 3.3 steals, 2.0 blocks and posting a 1.50:1 assist/turnover ratio.
- Jeff Dowtin leads the way, averaging 8.7 points per game while shooting 66.7% from the floor (10-15 FG; 4-6 3FG).
- Stanford Robinson is averaging 7.7 points, 3.7 rebounds,4.0 assists, and has a 6.00:1 assist/turnover ratio in 25 minutes per game.
- Nicola Akele is averaging close to 22 minutes off the bench, recording 4.0 points and 3.7 rebounds while connecting on 55.6% FG.
- Prior to the past three games, Rhody reserves were averaging 14.5 points and shooting just under 40.0% (54-136) from the floor.
LANGEVINE ANNOUNCING PRESENCE WITH AUTHORITY
- Cyril Langevine is emerging as one of the top rebounding forwards in the Atlantic 10 and among all freshman nationally.
- The 6-8 forward corralled 13 boards at Saint Louis. It was his third double-digit rebounding game of the season.
- On Dec. 22, Langevine grabbed 17 rebounds - seven on the offensive glass and 10 defensive boards - vs. William & Mary.
- It marked the second-highest rebounding total in Ryan Center history (19 - Kahiem Seawright vs. Houston, Nov. 13, 2006).
- The 17 rebounds tied for a season-high among Rhody players and also tied for the single-game high in the A-10 so far this year.
- Teammate Hassan Martin pulled down 17 boards at Providence. Mason's Marquise Moore also had 17 boards vs. Prairie View.
- The freshman forward tallied his first collegiate double-double on Dec. 10 at Houston, with 10 points and 11 rebounds.
- Since entering the starting five on Dec. 6, Langevine is averaging 5.6 points, 10.0 rebounds, and 2.1 blocks per game.
- Through the first eight games of the season, Langevine averaged less than 10 minutes of play per game.
- Over the last five games, Langevine is averaging 23.8 minutes per game.
SUPER MARIO RUN
- The Super Mario Brothers - E.C. Matthews and Hassan Martin - have played together in 72 career games.
- Rhode Island is 42-30 in those games, including a 28-13 mark over their last 41 games on the floor together.
- Over the past two seasons, Matthews and Martin have appeared in the same game on just nine occasions - eight coming this season.