Rhody Game Day Central
Gamenotes: at Saint Louis
Radio: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM)
RHODE ISLAND VS. SAINT LOUIS
- Tonight, the Rams and the Billikens will meet for the 17th time.
- Rhody leads the all-time series, 10-6 - winning the last three and eight of nine.
- The Rams earned an 85-57 win in the lone meeting between the two schools.
- Head coach Dan Hurley is 4-1 versus Saint Louis all-time.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81 in the Eastern 8, Rhode Island has posted a 262-320 all-time record in Atlantic 10 regular season conference play.
- Last year, the injury-riddled Rams finished with a 9-9 record and the #7 seed in the 2016 Atlantic 10 Championship.
- In 2014-15, Rhody posted a 13-5 Atlantic 10 record, tying for second place.
- The 13 A-10 wins were the second-highest total in school history (14 - 1987-88).
RHODE ISLAND IN ATLANTIC 10 OPENERS
- Since joining the Eastern Eight/Atlantic 10 conference during the 1980-81 season, Rhode Island has compiled a 16-20 overall record in league opening games.
- Last year, the Rams beat Saint Louis, 85-57, on Jan. 2, 2016 in Kingston.
- This is the fourth straight season that Rhody has kicked off A-10 play facing SLU.
RHODE ISLAND'S SCHEDULE: ONE OF THE BEST IN THE NATION
- Through games of Dec. 27, Rhode Island's strength of schedule (SOS) is 27th nationally.
- Rhode Island is one of six top 50 RPI teams to have played three true road games vs. top 100 opponents.
- URI has faced three top 50 - Duke (11), Cincinnati (34), and Providence (48) - and five top 100 - Valpo (61) and Houston (85) foes.
- The average RPI of the four losses this season - 51.3. Total point differential in those games - 21 points.
- Six A-10 opponents (11 total games) are also top 100 RPI teams: Davidson (40), VCU (52), Dayton (54), Saint Joseph's (59), Massachusetts (77), La Salle (80).
- KenPom.com rankings features 11 top 100 opponents: Duke (2), Cincinnati (21), Dayton (40), Houston (42), VCU (56), Davidson (61), Providence (63), St. Bona (79), Valpo (93), ODU (94), La Salle (99).
- In total, Rhode Island's schedule features 12 top 100 opponents over 16 total games in non-conference and A-10 play.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACTS YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- The Super Mario Brothers - E.C. Matthews and Hassan Martin - have played together in 72 career games.
- Rhode Island is 42-30 in those games, including a 28-13 mark over their last 41 games on the floor together.
- After a season-high three turnovers at Valpo on Nov. 29, Stanford Robinson has gone the last five games (105 minutes) without a TO.
- Rhody has two wins (three total) this season when shooting less than 40.0%. URI won three such games (nine total) in 2015-16.
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - DECEMBER 30
- Rhode Island is 12-12 all-time in games played on December 30, including a pair of wins over North Carolina in 1949 and 1950.
- Dec. 30 marks the dual celebrations of National Bicarbonate of Soda Day and National Bacon Day.
- On this date in 1922: the organization of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics (U.S.S.R.) is formally announced.
- Also on this date in 1817, the first coffee is planted on the big island of Hawai'i, around the Kona region.
- Notable Dec. 30 birthdays: a trio of G.O.A.T.'s - LeBron James, Tiger Woods, and, Sandy Koufax.
THE WILLIAM & MARY GAME - TRENDS, FACTS, FIGURES, AND OTHER STUFF
- Cyril Langevine pulled down seven offensive rebounds in 26 minutes of play, equalling W&M as a team for 40 minutes.
- One game after posting its highest turnover total of the season (14), Rhody had its lowest number of turnovers vs. the Tribe (7).
- The Rams scored 21 of their 73 points off of turnovers, forcing W&M into 16 turns.
- URI attempted 69 field goals - the second-highest total of the season. The Rams took 70 shots in the season opener vs. Dartmouth.
- Over the past two games, the Rhody bench is averaging 23.5 points and 10.5 rebounds, while shooting 57.1% from the floor .
- Stanford Robinson leads the way, averaging 8.0 points, 4.5 rebounds, 3.5 assists in 26.0 minutes of play.
- Jeff Dowtin (7.0 ppg/14:30 min), Nicola Akele (5.0 ppg/4.0 rpg/24:30), and Andre Berry (3.5 ppg/4:30) are also making an impact.
- Prior to the past two games, Rhody reserves were averaging 14.5 points and shooting just under 40.0% (54-136) from the floor.
LANGEVINE ANNOUNCING PRESENCE WITH AUTHORITY
- Cyril Langevine is emerging as one of the top rebounding forwards in the Atlantic 10 and among all freshman nationally.
- Last time out, the 6-8 forward corralled 17 rebounds - seven on the offensive glass and 10 defensive boards - vs. William & Mary.
- It marked the second-highest rebounding total in Ryan Center history (19 - Kahiem Seawright vs. Houston, Nov. 13, 2006).
- The 17 rebounds tie for a season-high among Rhody players and also ties for the single-game high in the A-10 so far this year.
- Teammate Hassan Martin pulled down 17 boards at Providence. Mason's Marquise Moore also had 17 boards vs. Prairie View.
- The freshman forward tallied his first collegiate double-double on Dec. 10 at Houston, with 10 points and 11 rebounds.
- Since entering the starting lineup on Dec. 6, the 6-8 forward is averaging 6.0 points, 9.3 rebounds, and 2.0 blocks per game.
- Through the first eight games of the season, Langevine averaged less than 10 minutes of play per game.
- Over the last four games, Langevine is averaging 25.3 minutes per game.
MATTHEWS ON THE WATCHLIST FOR NAISMITH, LUTE OLSEN, JERRY WEST AWARDS
- Junior guard E.C. Matthews has been recognized on the watchlists of three major national awards.
- On Nov. 9, Matthews was listed among 50 players on the watchlist for the Naismith Men's College Player of the Year award.
- He is also on the watchlist for the Lute Olson Award - presented to the nation's top player who has played at least two seasons.
- For the third straight season, Matthews was named to the Jerry West Shooting Guard of the Year Award watch list.
NOW TRENDING: JARED TERRELL
- Since Jared Terrell's freshman year during the 2014-15 season - the Rams are 15-7 when he scores 15 or more points.
- The Rams are 35-14 when the Weymouth, Mass. native reaches double figures in the scoring column.
- Terrell led Rhode Island with a season-high 22 points (8-15 FG) on Nov. 20 against #1/1 Duke.
- Last season, Terrell led URI in scoring at 13.5 points per game - becoming the second straight sophomore to lead the squad in scoring.
- Rhode Island is 13-15 when Terrell scores less than 10 points.
A GRAND PLAN: MARTIN, MATTHEWS JOIN RHODE ISLAND'S 1,000 POINT CLUB; TERRELL UP NEXT
- Hassan Martin became the 53rd player in Rhode Island history to reach the 1,000 point mark at Valpo on Nov. 29.
- Martin reached the milestone after hitting a jumper with 5:28 left in the second half vs. the Crusaders.
- Jared Terrell (910) also has the 1,000 point mark on his radar this season.
- In the season opener on Nov. 11, E.C. Matthews earned the 1,000-point career milestone at home vs. Dartmouth on Nov. 11.
- Prior to Matthews, the last Rhody player to reach the 1,000 point mark was Xavier Munford in 2014.
- Rhode Island has never had more than two players reach the 1,000-point mark in the same season.