How It Happened
E.C. Matthews led all scorers with 23 points, Cyril Langevine corralled 17 rebounds, and the Rhody bench contributed 24 points as URI closed out non-conference play with a 73-62 win over William & Mary.
The Rams and the Tribe traded baskets throughout the first 11 minutes of the game, with neither team gaining more than a three-point advantage. William & Mary led 22-20 with 9:26 left in the half before Rhode Island closed the period on a 23-8 run. URI led 43-30 at the break.
E.C. Matthews scored six straight points off a 3-pointer and a traditional three-point play, giving Rhode Island its largest lead of the night at 18 points - 53-35 - with 14:43 left in regulation. The Tribe rattled off 13 unanswered points over the next 3:13 and trimmed their deficit to five points (53-48) with 11:30 to go.
W&M got as close as three points (60-57) with 5:34 to play. The Rams went on an 8-0 run, powered by five points from Jared Terrell, pushing the Rhody lead back to double-digits.
Inside the Box Score
- E.C. Matthews led all scorers with 23 points (7-18 FG), narrowly missing a double-double with nine rebounds. He added two assists and a steal in 33 minutes of play.
- It was Matthews' 23rd career game with 20 points or more.
- Cyril Langevine dominated the backboard tonight, corralling 17 rebounds. He grabbed seven offensive rebounds and 10 on the defensive end.
- It is the freshman forward's second game with double-digit rebounds and ties a season-high for a Rhode Island player (17 - Hassan Martin at Providence).
- Jared Terrell added 14 points - 11 coming in the second half. He was limited to six minutes of play in the first half due to foul trouble.
- Jarvis Garrett added eight points, five assists (zero turnovers) and three steals. The Rams improved to 17-7 all-time when Garrett has at least five assists.
- The Rhode Island bench again shined, combining for 24 points, eight rebounds, five assists and three steals.
- Jeff Dowtin and Stanford Robinson each had nine points. Robinson tallied his nine points in the first half and he finished with four rebounds, four assists, and two steals in 26 minutes. Dowtin was 4-of-6 from the floor and connected on a 3-pointer for his season high in points.
- Rhode Island outrebounded William & Mary, 41-35, dished out 15 assists, and committed a season-low seven turnovers.
- The Rams close non-conference play with an 8-4 mark - the third straight season in which Rhode Island recorded at least eight wins before Atlantic 10 play commenced.
Stat of the Game, pt. I
21 - Rhode Island scored 21 points off of 16 W&M turnovers.
Stat of the Game, pt. II
2.14:1 - Rhode Island had its best assist/turnover ratio of the season, with 15 assists to just seven turnovers.
Rhody will have an eight-day break before returning to action, kicking off conference play at Saint Louis on Dec. 30 in a game nationally televised on ESPN. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. ET