How It Happened
Jared Terrell led all scorers with 18 points and Rhode Island received 23 points from its bench in 65-54 win over Holy Cross on Sunday afternoon.
The Rams defense held Holy Cross to just three field goals through the first 13 minutes, building a 24-11 lead with 5:34 to play in the first half. But the Crusaders Princeton-style offense began to click and Holy Cross scored five unanswered to cut it to eight - 24-16 - with 3:41 to play in the half. A late whistle with 0.2 seconds put HC for two free throws and Rhody led 30-22 at the break.
Holy Cross began the half on a 6-2 push, cutting the Rhody lead to four points, at 32-28, with 18:00 to play in regulation. Jarvis Garrett scored four quick points and Nicola Akele added a layup to put the Rams back up 10 quickly (38-28, 16:01).
The Crusaders got as close as five points late - after a layup made it 51-46 with 5:52 to go. A 7-0 offensive spurt put the game out of reach for good, as Terrell drained a 3-pointer and converted three field goals after being fouled on the perimeter to give Rhode Island a 58-46 lead with 4:36 left. The Rams sealed the victory connecting on 8-of-11 from the charity stripe over the final 5:18.
Inside the Box Score
- Jared Terrell tallied double-digits in the scoring column for the first time since Dec. 3. The junior guard connected on 6-of-13 from the floor, including 2-7 from 3-point land and 4-4 from the foul line. He added three rebounds and two assists in 33 minutes.
- Kuran Iverson chipped in with 11 points, nine boards, and two steals before fouling out in 20 minutes. It is his second straight double-digit scoring effort and seventh on the season.
- Ram reserves scored 23 points, led by eight points from Nicola Akele. The 6-7 sophomore was a perfect 4-4 from the floor, grabbing six rebounds (four offensive) and notching two steals in 29 minutes.
- Stanford Robinson added seven points, five boards, three assists (zero turnovers) and two blocks in 26 minutes. Jeff Dowtin (five points) and Andre Berry (three points) rounded out the bench scoring.
- Cyril Langevine added seven points, four boards, and a blocked shot in 25 minutes.
- Jarvis Garrett added six points, four boards, three assists, and two steals in 31 minutes.
- Langevine was 8-of-11 from the foul line while tallying two assists, two blocked shots and two steals in 27 minutes.
- Rhode Island connected on 50.0% of its field goal attempts (24-48) and made close to 68% of its 2-point field goal attempts (21-31).
- Ram rebounders kept Holy Cross off the glass, holding a 36-19 advantage on the backboards. URI had 12 offensive rebounds, translating into 11 second-chance points.
Stat of the Game, pt. I
60.0% - Combined, the Rhody bench connected on 9-of-15 shots from the floor.
Stat of the Game, pt. II
32 - Rhode Island scored 32 of its 65 points in the paint. The 32 paint points are the most since URI had 36 PITP at Valpo.
Rhody will play its final non-conference game of the regular season on Thursday, Dec. 22 against William & Mary. The Rams and Tribe tipoff at 7 p.m. at the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
A live stream of the game can be seen through the A-10 Network on GoRhody.com and televised locally on myRITV.