How It Happened
A late second half finish came up short as #23/25 Rhode Island fell, 65-62, at Valparaiso on Tuesday night. The Rams (5-2) - who trailed by as many as eight points in the second half - were down 64-58 with 35 seconds remaining.
Jared Terrell made a layup with 27 seconds left and then after Jarvis Garrett stole the inbounds pass, missed a 3-point attempt. E.C. Matthews tipped in the miss, making it 64-62 with 21 seconds left in regulation. On the next possession, Hassan Martin altered Shane Hammink's layup attempt, corralled the rebound. The senior went to the line with a chance to tie but missed the front end of a 1-and-1.
Down three - 65-62 - with just under 11 seconds to play, the Rams had a chance to tie on the last possession but Garrett had his 3-point attempt blocked.
It was a back-and-forth affair through the first 30 minutes of the game, with neither team taking more than a five-point lead.
Terrell keyed the Rhody offense with three consecutive 3-pointers in the first half, giving the Rams a 21-16 lead with 7:39 left in the period. After a Nicola Akele 3-point made it 28-24 with 3:05 to go, Valpo closed the half on a 7-2 run keyed by five points from All-American Alec Peters.
Inside the Box Score
- Jared Terrell led the Rams with 21 points. He was 9-for-18 from the floor and 3-of-6 from the perimeter. He added three rebounds and two steals in 37 minutes.
- Hassan Martin became the 53rd player in Rhode Island history to reach the 1,000 point mark. Martin's basket with 5:28 left in the second half put him over the four digit mark. He added six boards, two blocks, and two steals in 38 minutes.
- Jarvis Garrett added 10 points, four assists, three steals and two rebounds in 28 minutes of action.
- The Rams tied their lowest shooting percentage of the season, connecting on just 42.4% (25-59) from the floor.
- Valpo outrebounded URI, 35-28. Both teams grabbed seven offensive rebounds. The Rams converted those seven offensive boards into 12 points.
- Rhody's defense forced 17 turnovers off of nine steals. Garrett led the team with three steals while Martin, Terrell, and Kuran Iverson each had two.
- Rhode Island scored 36 of its 62 points in the paint.
Stat of the Game, pt. I
+11 - Valpo held a plus-11 advantage in free throw attempts. The Crusaders were 18-for-21 from the foul line, while Rhody was 8-for-10.
Stat of the Game, pt. II
0-9 - Rhode Island missed all nine of its 3-point attempts in the second half. URI connected on 4-of-8 from the outside in the first 20:00.
Rhody heads north on Rt. 95 on Saturday, Dec. 3 to take on Providence in the 129th meeting between the two schools. Game time at the Dunkin' Donuts Center is set for 4:30 p.m. and can be seen nationally via the Fox Sports Network.
The game can be heard live locally on the Rhody Sports Network on B101 (101.5 FM).
The Rhody Sports Network will also carry this - and every game - live on B101 (101.5 FM), with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull.