How It Happened
A 14-1 run to close the first half and start the second was the difference as #21/22 Rhode Island dropped a 75-65 decision to #1/1 Duke.
The Rams (4-1) committed six turnovers in the first four minutes of the game as Duke scored the first six points of the game. Rhody answered with a 6-2 push over the next 3:10, capped by a layup from Hassan Martin that made it 8-6. After the Blue Devils extended their lead back to nine points - at 15-6 with 10:03 left in the half - Rhody would again fight their way back, thanks to an 8-0 run which cut it to 15-14 with 7:26 left.
Both teams traded baskets for the next five minutes before Duke began its run, putting the Rhody deficit in double digits.
In the second half, Duke built as much as an 18-point advantage but Rhode Island's defensive pressure never lagged. Down 70-53 with 2:50 to go, the Rams forced four Blue Devil turnovers and registered three defensive stops, getting URI as close as 10 points - the final margin.
Inside the Box Score
- Hassan Martin finished the game with 15 points, six boards, and seven blocked shots. For his efforts, he was named to the Hall of Fame Tipoff All-Tournament team. Martin averaged 14.5 points, 4.5 rebounds, and 4.5 blocks while connecting on 66.7% (12-18) of his shots from the floor.
- Jared Terrell led the Rams with 22 points on 8-of-15 shooting from the floor. He scored 36 points over the two games at Mohegan Sun Arena.
- Stanford Robinson came off the bench to score 10 points and grab six rebounds in 17 minutes.
- E.C. Matthews added a season-low nine points.
- After committing six turnovers in the first four minutes of play, URI turned the ball over four times in the next 36 minutes.
- Jarvis Garrett posted six assists (two turnovers) and two steals in 33 minutes. The junior point guard was fully cleared to play after being removed from Saturday's game vs. #24/25 Cincinnati on a stretcher and transported to a local hospital.
Stat of the Game, pt. I
13-0 – Rhode Island reserves outscored the Duke bench, 13-0.
Stat of the Game, pt. II
5 - Hassan Martin recorded his fifth career game with at least seven blocks. It marks the third time in five games that he blocked at least six shots.
Rhody returns to action on Friday, Nov. 25 when it hosts Ohio Valley Conference favorite Belmont at 7 p.m. at the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
The Rhody Sports Network will also carry this - and every game - live on B101 (101.5 FM), with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull. A live video stream can be seen on the A-10 Network, via GoRhody.com.