How It Happened
No. 23/24 Rhode Island took control early and cruised to its second straight win to open the season, drubbing Marist 107-65 Monday night in the opening game of the 2016 Hall of Fame Tipoff Tournament.
After Marist (0-2) started the game with a 7-2 spurt, the Rams (2-0) responded with a 16-0 run. Hassan Martin had five points, E.C. Matthews and Jared Terrell each had four and Kuran Iverson added three during the rally. The balanced offense continued throughout the half, as all four players scored at least nine points. Matthews, Terrell and Martin all reached double figures in points before the break, as Rhody shot 62.5 percent from the floor (20-of-32) en route to a 59-34 halftime lead.
Rhody never let up, getting the lead to 30 points just one minute into the second half on an Iverson 3-pointer. It was one of 12 treys for the Rams, who shot an eye-popping 57.1 percent (12-of-21) from deep.
Inside the Box Score
- Rhode Island made its first 11 free throws and finished the game 25-of-31 (80.6 percent). The Rams were 14-of-15 at the line in the first half.
- E.C. Matthews led the Rams with 22 points in just 22 minutes of action. He was 8-for-10 from the floor, including 3-of-4 from beyond the arc.
- Jared Terrell and Kuran Iverson each had 14 points. Iverson added seven rebounds and Terrell three steals, three assists and three rebounds.
- Hassan Martin had a double-double, finishing with 15 points and 10 rebounds in just 19 minutes. Martin also blocked two shots and was a perfect 9-for-9 at the free throw line.
- Stanford Robinson gave Rhode Island a fifth player in double figures, scoring 11 points off the bench.
- Jarvis Garrett had nine points, eight assists and three rebounds.
- Twelve of the 13 players who appeared in the game scored for the Rams. Walk-ons Eric Dadika and Will Leviton each had a basket, with Dadika's coming from 3-point range.
- The Rams were sharing the ball well, getting 21 assists on the night. Nine different players had at least one helper.
- Rhode Island finished with a 43-21 edge in rebounding, including a 21-5 advantage at the break.
- Rhody's bench contributed 33 points.
- Andrea Hurley, wife of Rhode Island head coach Dan Hurley, was honored with the 2016 Sandra C. Labaree Volunteer Values Award from the American Cancer Society at halftime. Over the last four years, Andrea Hurley has helped raise more than $15,000 for the ACS through Coaches vs. Cancer.
Stat of the Game, pt. I
40 – Monday marked the 40th time in his career Jarvis Garrett has played 20 or more minutes while committing two or fewer turnovers. He had just two turnovers and eight assists in 25 minutes.
Stat of the Game, pt. II
107 – The 107 points were the most in the Dan Hurley era and the most for Rhode Island since a 11-87 victory over Duquesne on Feb. 11, 2007.
Rhody is back at home Wednesday night when it hosts in-state rival Brown as part of the 2016 Hall of Fame Tipoff Tournament. Game time is 7 p.m.
The Rhody Sports Network will also carry this - and every game - live on B101 (101.5 FM), with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull. The game can also be seen live the A-10 Network, via GoRhody.com.