How It Happened
A Jared Terrell 3-pointer with 1:49 to go gave Rhody its first lead of the game and capped off a furious 17-2 rally. But the never-say-die Rams fell just short against UMass tonight at the Atlantic 10 Championship, 67-62, at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
UMass jumped out to a 17-6 lead with 13:19 left in the first, as the Rams struggled to find their groove. URI committed an uncharacteristic eight turnovers through the first seven-plus minutes. Rhody trailed by as many as 18 points - at 37-19 - with 2:30 left in the period but closed the half on an 8-0 run to make it 37-27 at the break.
In the second half, Rhody cut it to six - at 43-37 - after a 3-ball from Terrell with 16:20 to play. UMass responded with a 7-2 push to go back up 11 (48-37) and extended its second half lead to as many as 15 points - 56-41 with 9:46 to go.
Cue up the trademark Rhody toughness that has been evident since early on in game #1 vs. American. A 3-pointer from Four McGlynn. A layup from Kuran Iverson. A three-point play from Watson that made it 56-50 with 5:26 to go. After two Minutemen free throws, jumpers from McGlynn and Iverson and two free throws from Jarvis Garrett set up the Terrell trey that gave Rhody a 59-58 edge with less than two minutes to go.
Inside the Box Score
- In his final game for Rhode Island, Earl Watson put forth one of his finest efforts. The senior forward registered a double-double with 15 points and a career-high 15 rebounds. Watson was 6-of-8 from the floor and 3-of-3 from the line in 34 minutes.
- Four McGlynn closed out his collegiate career with 16 points, knocking down two 3-pointers to finish with 270 in his 136 games played. McGlynn added three rebounds, an assist, and two steals.
- Jared Terrell scored 11 of his 14 points in the second half. It marked the 26th time this season the the sophomore guard registered double figures in the scoring column.
- Kuran Iverson corralled 10 rebounds - his ninth game with double-digit rebounds. He added six points - all in the second half.
- Jarvis Garrett added seven points and four assists in 37 minutes.
- Rhody shot 34.9% from the floor (22-63) and 19.0% (4-21) from 3-point land.
- URI won the battle of the boards, 41-32, including a 17-7 edge on the offensive glass.
Stat of the Game, pt. I
8 - Eight of Earl Watson's 15 rebounds came on the offensive glass. Rhody managed 17 second-chance points on its 17 total offensive boards.
Stat of the Game, pt. II
8 - Rhode Island tallied eight assists on the night - its lowest single-game total the Feb. 23 game at Davidson (6). Over its last three games, URI was averaging 17.0 assists per contest.
Rhode Island will head home to Kingston tomorrow morning, will rest up and get healthy, and will begin its quest toward the 2017 Atlantic 10 Championship.