How It Happened
Rhode Island hot shooting for all 40 minutes helped pave the way to a 77-74 victory over Duquesne.
The Rams connected on 61.5% from the floor over the first 20 minutes of play (16-26), making 6-of-10 from the outside. URI led by as many as 11 points, after a jumper by Hassan Martin made it 26-15 with 8:18 to go in the period.
The Dukes would go on a 9-2 push, capped by a Micah Mason 3-ball,, to cut it to four (28-24) with 5:00 left in the half. Rhody took a 42-35 lead at the half, as Jared Terrell drained a 3-pointer in front of the Duquesne bench with two seconds remaining.
In the second half, two Martin FT with 18:01 left made it 46-39. Duquesne would then begin a 14-4 run over the next 4:25, taking its first and only lead of the night as a Mason three made it 51-50 with 13:36.
Tied at 60-60 with 8:27, the Rams held the Dukes scoreless over the next four minutes of play, taking a 66-60 lead with 4:31 to play. Rhody led by as many as eight late (74-66) with 1:09 to play, but Duquesne would not go away quietly, chipping away at the Rhody lead down the stretch.
Inside the Box Score
- Jared Terrell led the Rams with 20 points - his sixth 20-point performance in his last eight games. The sophomore guard was 5-of-10 from the floor (3-6 3FG) and a perfect 7-of-7 from the charity stripe. He added five assists and a steal in 37 minutes of action.
- Hassan Martin had 19 points and four blocked shots. Martin made 9-of-11 from the line and connected on 5-of-9 shots from the field.
- Jarvis Garrett tallied 17 points, eight assists, four rebounds and a career-best four steals. He now has 117 assists - the most by a Rhody guard in a single season since Marquis Jones had 128 assists (34 games) in 2010-11.
- Kuran Iverson grabbed a game-high 10 rebounds to go along with seven points and two steals. It was his sixth game with 10 or more rebounds this season.
- Rhody connected on 54.5% of its shots from the floor - the 10th time that the squad has shot 50.0% or better from the floor. The Rams are 10-0 in those games.
- URI's bench was outscored 18-6 on the night. Over the last six games, Rams' reserves have been outscored 87-24.
- The Rams' four offensive rebounds tied a season-low, set on two other occasions (at GW; vs. George Mason).
Stat of the Game, pt. I
62.5% - Rhode Island registered 15 assists on 24 made field goals - an assist rate of 62.5%. It is the second-best assist rate of the season (68.0% vs. Iona; 17 assists to 25 FG)
Stat of the Game, pt. II
37:34 - The Rams led for the majority of the game - more than 37 minutes. Duquesne led for just 25 seconds. The game was tied for 2:01.
Next up for Rhode Island is a road trip to Davidson on Tuesday, Feb. 23 at Belk Arena.
The Rams and Wildcats tip off at 6 p.m. in a game televised live nationally on CBS Sports Network.
John Sadak and Alaa Abdelnaby will provide the broadcast call, with John Schriffen on the sidelines.
The Rhody Sports Network will also carry this - and every game - live on B101 (101.5 FM), with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull.