How It Happened
Rhode Island cut a 22-point deficit to just eight points late in the second half after a 19-5 run, but fell 83-67 at VCU on Tuesday night.
VCU jumped out to an 11-4 lead to start the game, but Rhody would chip away most of the half. A Hassan Martin dunk with 4:32 left in the period cut it to three - at 24-21. But the Richmond Rams would close out the half on a 13-2 run, including eight unanswered points, making it 37-23 at the break.
Both teams traded baskets to start the second half. A Jarvis Garrett layup with 16:12 left to play cut it to 42-29. VCU would respond with a 15-6 run, taking its biggest lead of the game - 22 points - at 57-35 with 11:46 to go.
Down 61-39 at the 9:44 mark, Rhody showed its trademark fight when starting its 19-5 push. Jared Terrell scored 11 of Rhody's 19 points during the run.
Inside the Box Score
- Jared Terrell led all scorers with 22 points - 15 coming in the second half. It is his fifth 20-point performance out of the last seven games.
- Hassan Martin added 19 points, seven rebounds, two blocks, and two steals in 33 minutes. He was 9-of-14 from the floor.
- Jarvis Garrett added 15 points, seven assists and two steals. He committed a season-high seven turnovers.
- Kuran Iverson pulled down a game-high 11 rebounds (six offensive), to go along with eight points, five assists, two blocked shots and a steal. He fouled out in 23 minutes of play.
- Rhody won the battle of the boards, 41-29. The Kingston Rams had 16 offensive rebounds - which translated to 12 second chance points.
- URI shot 43.5% from the floor - including 53.3% (16-30 FG) in the second half.
Stat of the Game, pt. I
50 - Rhode Island scored 50 of its 67 points in the paint.
Stat of the Game, pt. II
13 - 13 of Rhody's 16 turnovers came off of VCU steals.
Next up for Rhode Island is a home matchup with Duquesne on Saturday night.
The Rams and Dukes tip off on Feb. 20 at the Thomas M. Ryan Center at 7 p.m. in a game televised live on Cox Sports/OSN.
Eric Frede and Abu Bakr will provide the broadcast call. A live stream will be available on CoxHub.com
The Rhody Sports Network will also carry this - and every game - live on B101 (101.5 FM), with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull.