How It Happened
Rhode Island's 16-3 run early in the second half helped seal the 81-63 victory over George Mason on Tuesday night.
The Patriots kept it close throughout the first half, with four ties and two lead changes.
Midway through the half, Rhody's 14-7 run - capped by a Four McGlynn traditional 3-pointer - gave the Rams a 33-24 lead with 5:58 to play. Mason would respond with nine unanswered points, tying the game at 33-33. URI would hold a 41-37 half time advantage.
During the key second half run, Rhody rattled off 12 straight points - eight coming from McGlynn. Rhody would build as much as a 24-point lead - 79-55 - with just over three minutes to play.
Rhody finished the game with four turnovers and went close to 28 minutes between turnovers between the first and second halves.
Inside the Box Score
- Four McGlynn led all scorers with 25 points. The graduate student connected on 6-of-11 from the perimeter - his fifth career game with at least six 3-pointers. McGlynn scored 17 of his 25 in the first half.
- The sophomore duo of Jared Terrell and Jarvis Garrett each reached double figures, with 19 and 17 points, respectively. Terrell (8-15 FG; 1-2 3FG) and Garrett (6-12 FG; 4-5 3FG) each added five assists and three rebounds.
- Hassan Martin was limited to 21 minutes after first half foul trouble, but finished with nine points, seven rebounds, two assists, and five blocked shots.
- With the five blocks, the junior forward moved into sole possession of second place on Rhode Island's all-time career blocked shots list with 239, passing current assistant coach Antonio Reynolds Dean (235).
- Earl Watson pulled down nine boards and blocked three shots in 24 minutes off the bench.
- The Rams connected on 53.3% of their shots from the floor tonight - the ninth time they have shot 50.0% or better this season. URI is 9-0 in those games.
- Rhody also knocked down 12 3-pointers - the sixth time they have connected on double-digits from beyond the arc. The Rams are 6-0 in those games.
Stat of the Game, pt. I
4 - URI's four turnovers in the game ties the season low, also set on Nov. 29 vs. Rider. It marked the sixth time that the Rams kept their turnover total in single digits - the team in 6-0 in those games.
Stat of the Game, pt. II
28 & 36 - Rhody scored 28 points in the paint and 36 points from beyond the arc.
Rhody hosts #19 Dayton at the Ryan Center on Friday, Feb. 12 in a nationally televised game on ESPN2.
The game between the Rams and Flyers will tip off at 7 p.m. as Adam Amin and Craig Robinson provide the broadcast call.
The Rhody Sports Network will also carry this - and every game - live on B101 (101.5 FM), with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull.