How It Happened
Saint Joseph's began the second half on a 10-2 run and used late free throw opportunities to seal the win, pulling away for a 72-67 win on Sunday at Hagan Arena.
Tied at 38-38 at the break, the Hawks made their run in the first 3:30 of the period, while the Rams were whistled for four fouls - putting Jared Terrell and Kuran Iverson on the bench.
After SJU built as much as a nine-point edge (52-43, 13:32 left), Rhode Island's trademark toughness showed over the next five minutes as Earl Watson and Jarvis Garrett sparked an 8-0 run which cut it to one - at 52-51 with 8:49 to play.
Two free throws by Four McGlynn continued the run to 10-0 and gave Rhody a one-point edge, at 53-52 with 7:18 to play. Saint Joseph's scored on its next possession and led the rest of the way. A McGlynn 3-ball with 4:59 to go got the Rams as close as one point (57-56).
The first half saw nine ties and 16 lead changes. Kuran Iverson began the game with a hot hand, scoring 10 of Rhody's first 14 points but was whistled for his second foul at the 14:30 mark and sat for much of the rest of the half. Hassan Martin picked up the scoring slack, finishing with 16 points through the first 20 minutes of action.
Inside the Box Score
- Martin led Rhode Island with his 20 points (8-15 FG; 4-5 FT). The 6-7 senior also grabbed eight boards and a blocked a shot in 36 minutes.
- Iverson finished with 13 points - making 5-of-7 from the field and 3-of-4 from beyond the arc. He was limited to just 16 minutes of action after getting into foul trouble.
- Both Martin and Iverson returned to the starting lineup for the first time since the Dec. 22 game at ODU.
- Jarvis Garrett added 12 points, five rebounds, and a game-high six assists (zero turnovers) in 38 minutes. Garrett connected on 2-of-2 from beyond the arc in the second half.
- Earl Watson added six points and five boards off the bench in 19 minutes of action. Rhody's bench tallied nine points on the afternoon.
- The Rams shot 46.2% (24-52) from the floor - including 51.9% (14-27) in the first half.
- SJU held a 34-32 edge on the glass, including an 11-6 edge on the offensive glass. The Hawks scored 11 second-chance points and scored 21 points off 16 URI turnovers.
Stat of the Game, pt. I
16 - The Rams committed 16 turnovers on the afternoon. Over the previous two games, URI had 18 total turnovers.
Stat of the Game, pt. II
0 - Jarvis Garrett did not commit a turnover, while dishing out six assists in 38 minutes of play. It is his second game of the season and sixth of his career with zero turns and at least four assists.
Rhody heads to Western New York to play its second consecutive A-10 road game on Jan. 13 at St. Bonaventure.
The game will be televised live throughout New York on TimeWarner Cable and will be aired live locally on OSN (Cox ch. 5/1005 HD). Tip time at the Reilly Center is set for 7 p.m.
The Rhody Sports Network will also carry this - and every game - live on B101 (101.5 FM), with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull.