How It Happened
Rhody erased a 15-point second half deficit and took an extra five minutes to earn an 88-85 victory over Brown at the Pizzitola Center on Wednesday night.
Trailing 60-45 with 11:46 to play, Rhody (8-5) outscored Brown, 29-14 to tie it at 74-74. On the final possession of overtime, Nicola Akele's layup attempt was blocked as time expired, forcing the extra period.
The Bears did not trail for much of the first 36 minutes before a Four McGlynn 3-pointer made it 69-66 - giving Rhody its first lead.
Brown's Jason Massey hit a 3-pointer as time expired in the first half, making it 37-30 in favor of the Bears at the break. URI outscored Brown, 44-37 in the second half and 14-11 in the OT period.
With Hassan Martin and Kuran Iverson sidelined due to injury, Rhode Island was limited to just seven scholarship players for tonight's contest.
Inside the Box Score
- Four McGlynn poured in a career-high 33 points. The graduate transfer was 10-of-21 from the floor - including 6-of-13 from beyond the arc.
- 23 of McGlynn's 33 came in the second half and OT period. He connected on all seven of his free throw attempts and played all 45 minutes.
- Christion Thompson scored a season-best 13 points - with some pivotal buckets coming late. The freshman from Louisiana knocked down 3-of-4 from beyond the arc in the second half and OT. He had five of Rhody's 14 points in OT.
- Jared Terrell added 11 points to go with four assists and two steals in 41 minutes.
- Earl Watson earned his first collegiate start and tied his career-high in rebounding with 11 boards (3 offensive; 8 defensive) to go with nine points, a block, and two steals in 35 minutes.
- Jarvis Garrett dished out seven of Rhody's 16 assists. The sophomore point guard also tallied eight points and two blocked shots in 42 minutes.
- Newcomers Nicola Akele and Andre Berry each scored seven points. Akele also earned his first collegiate start and was 3-of-5 from the floor while registering an assist and two steals in 29 minutes of action.
- Berry was a perfect 3-of-3 from the floor and 1-of-2 from the charity stripe. He also grabbed three boards in eight minutes.
- Each of the seven Rhody players that saw action tallied at least seven points.
- For the game, the Rams shot 43.1% from the floor (31-72) - including 11-of-23 from the outside (47.8%). Rhody made 15-of-22 from the line - 7-of-8 from the stripe in OT.
Stat of the Game, pt. I
16:7 - The Rams posted a positive assist/turnover ratio for the third straight contest and for the fourth time in five games. Rhody dished out 16 assists and committed just seven turnovers. It was the fourth game this season in which URI kept its turnover count in single digits.
Stat of the Game, pt. II
33 - Four McGlynn's 33 points were the most by a Rhody player since Xavier Munford tallied 33 in a double OT win at Auburn on Nov. 25, 2012.
Rhode Island opens up its Atlantic 10 slate on Saturday, Jan. 2 when it hosts to Saint Louis at 4:30 p.m. at the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
The game will air live nationally on NBC Sports Network and is the third game of an A-10 triple header on the network.
The Rhody Sports Network will air the game live on B101 (101.5 FM), with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull. The pre-game show begins 30 minutes before tipoff.