How It Happened
Rhody outscored Iona, 15-10, in the overtime period to take a 79-74 win in the Rams' final home non-conference tilt.
The Rams led by as many as 12 points in the second half, as Hassan Martin's layup made it 35-23 with 18:22 left in regulation. After the Gaels cut it to five - at 41-36 with 12:06 to play - Rhody responded with five unanswered to bring its lead back to double-digits.
Two Jarvis Garrett free throws made it a three-possession ballgame with 4:47 left, as URI led 58-51. Iona chipped away over that final stretch and trailed by three points - 64-61 - with 22 ticks left. On the ensuing inbounds play, as the Gaels were looking to foul, Four McGlynn was whistled for the offensive pushoff. Iona tied the ballgame on a deep 3-pointer with 12 seconds left and it set up a final regulation possession for URI.
Nicola Akele was fouled on a drive to the basket with 1.8 seconds left but missed both free throw attempts, forcing the extra frame.
Inside the Box Score
- Hassan Martin poured in a career-high 27 points (10-15) in the win. Martin's 27 points included going 7-for-9 from the charity stripe.
- The 6-7 junior added nine boards (six offensive), three assists, and four blocked shots.
- Martin reached both the 700-point and 500-rebound marks for his career tonight.
- Three other Rams - Jarvis Garrett, Four McGlynn, and Jared Terrell - each reached double-figures in the game, all with 12 points.
- Garrett connected on 3-of-4 from the perimeter, while dishing out a season-best nine assists and grabbing six rebounds.
- McGlynn connected on 7-of-8 from the charity stripe and corralled four boards.
- Terrell made 3-of-6 from the outside, while tallying three boards and two assists.
- Kuran Iverson pulled down a career-best 11 boards to go with eight points and two assists.
- Rhody dominated the glass, grabbing a season-best 54 rebounds as a team. The Rams' 20 offensive boards were also a season-high.
- The Rams scored 21 second-chance points off their 20 offensive boards.
Stat of the Game, pt. I
17 - The Rams dished out a season-high 17 assists vs. Iona. The previous high was 15 (vs. Cleveland State).
Stat of the Game, pt. II
3 - All eight Rhody players that saw action tonight grabbed at least three rebounds.
Rhode Island has a quick turnaround, traveling to Norfolk, Va. on Tuesday night to take on Old Dominion. Tip time is 7 p.m. and the game will be televised live on the American Sports Network. Local clearances to be announced.
The Rhody Sports Network will air the game live on B101 (101.5 FM), with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull. The pre-game show begins 30 minutes before tipoff.