How It Happened
Nebraska closed on a 20-8 run and used a 16-4 advantage in free throw attempts in the second half to pull away from Rhode Island late, 70-67.
The Rams led by as many as nine points - at 59-50 - after Four McGlynn drained a 3-pointer with 8:35 remaining. From there, the Huskers began to chip away at the Rams' lead. Up one with 1:30 left, Jarvis Garrett missed the front end of a 1-and-1, setting up the Huskers' 3-ball with 1:14 remaining that gave them the lead for good.
In the first half, the Rams' were clicking on all cylinders offensively, connecting on 55.6% (15-27) from the floor. Kuran Iverson (12 points) and Jarvis Garrett (10 points) led the way, as URI built as much as an 11-point lead. Garrett banked in a 3-pointer at the horn to take a 37-32 lead at the break.
Inside the Box Score
- Iverson led the Rams in scoring (15 points), rebounding (8), and blocked shots (2). The 6-9 junior was 7-of-12 from the floor in 35 minutes.
- Garrett also added 15 points (6-14 FG), four rebounds, five assists, and two steals in 32 minutes. He made 3-of-5 from the perimeter - a career-high in 3FG makes.
- Hassan Martin was limited to a season-low 17 minutes due to foul trouble. The junior forward was whistled for a push off and then a technical foul at the 16:45 mark, giving him his fourth foul with plenty of ballgame to play. Martin finished with six points, two boards, two assists and two blocks.
- Jared Terrell, Four McGlynn, and Christion Thompson each added eight points.
- Rhody shot 49.1% (27-55 FG) from the floor for the game. Nebraska connected on 51.2% of its field goal attempts - including 61.1% (11-18) in the second half.
- The Rams committed 11 second-half turnovers, including five in the final 7:00 of play.
Stat of the Game, pt. I
23 - The Rams scored 23 points off 17 Nebraska turnovers.
Stat of the Game, pt. II
+16 - For the first time this season, a Rhode Island opponent attempted more free throws than the Rams. Nebraska went to the line 24 times, to eight for Rhody. The Huskers made more FT (20) than the Rams attempted (8).
After a break for final exams, Rhode Island will host Iona on Saturday, Dec. 19 at 7 p.m. The game will be streamed live on CoxHub.com, with Eric Frede and Abu Bakr.
The Rhody Sports Network will air the game live on B101 (101.5 FM), with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull. The pre-game show begins 30 minutes before tipoff.