How It Happened
Rhode Island pulled away in the second half, outscoring Holy Cross 40-24 over the final 20 minutes to take a 74-56 win on Wednesday night at the Ryan Center.
There were seven ties and 12 lead changes in the first half, as the Rams (5-2) and Crusaders traded baskets. Rhody had its largest lead of the half - four points - after a Hassan Martin jumper made it 24-20 with 6:41 to go. URI would take a two-point lead into the locker room at the break, 34-32.
In the second half, Rhode Island began to turn up its defensive pressure, holding Holy Cross to just one field goal through the first 4:25 of play and just 38.5% shooting (0-5 3FG) from the floor.
The Rams put the game away for good after a 12-0 run midway through the half, taking a 15-point lead - 64-49 - after Jared Terrell's free throw with 5:06 left. URI would take its biggest lead - 20 points - with 1:40 to play.
Inside the Box Score
- Kuran Iverson tallied his first collegiate double-double, tying his career-high with 19 points while grabbing a career-best 10 rebounds. Iverson was 8-of-11 from the floor.
- Three other Rams reached double-figures in the scoring column - Hassan Martin had 16 points, while Jarvis Garrett and Jared Terrell added 11 points apiece.
- Martin connected on 7-of-11 shots from the field. He also tallied seven rebounds and four blocks. The 6-7 junior had five dunks - upping his season total to 13.
- Garrett grabbed a career-high seven rebounds, while dishing out five assists (one turnover) in 30 minutes.
- Terrell played 39 minutes and was active on the defensive end - tallying three steals. It is his second game with at least three swipes this year.
- Christion Thompson contributed seven points and four boards off the bench. Fellow frosh Nicola Akele also provided a much-needed defensive spark off the bench, with two boards and a block in 11 minutes.
- It was Rhody's second straight game with single-digit turnovers. The Rams committed just nine turnovers - three coming in the second half.
- Rhody outrebounded Holy Cross, 41-32 - including a 14-10 edge on the offensive glass. The Rams scored 20 second-chance points.
Stat of the Game, pt. I
3 steals - Rhody has had a player tally at least three steals in each of the first seven games.
Stat of the Game, pt. II
46 - Rhody scored 46 of its 74 points in the paint tonight vs. Holy Cross.
Rhode Island will play its annual game against Providence on Saturday night. The Rams and Friars will tipoff at 7 p.m. and will play to a national television audience (ESPNU).
The Rhody Sports Network will air the game live on B101 (101.5 FM), with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull. The pre-game show begins 30 minutes before tipoff.