How It Happened
Rhody used a balanced offensive attack to cruise to a 73-45 victory over Cleveland State in the opening game of the Cancun Challenge. Hassan Martin led all scorers with 16 points, while Kuran Iverson (15 points), Jared Terrell (14) and Jarvis Garrett (13) each reached double figures.
The Rams connected on 70.0% of their field goal attempts in the first half (14-20). Rhody had four players with at least eight points in the first half - led by Garrett's 10 points. URI led, 39-19 at the break.
In the second half, the Rams built as much as a 32-point advantage, after a Terrell trifecta made it 60-28 with 9:38 to play. As good as the Rams were offensively, they matched their efforts on the defensive end, holding Cleveland State to just 27.3% shooting from the floor (4-21 3FG) and 45 points.
Inside the Box Score
- Jarvis Garrett notched his 100th career assist tonight, in just his 36th collegiate game.
- Kuran Iverson set new career bests in scoring (15 points) and rebounding (8 boards). The 6-9 forward added two assists and two steals in 28 minutes.
- Jared Terrell had three of URI's nine steals in the game. He also added 14 points. Rhody is 15-1 all-time when the Weymouth, Mass. native scores more than 10 points.
- Rhody's defense forced 19 Cleveland State turnovers, translating into 24 points.
- 36 of the Rams' 73 points came in the paint.
- Newcomer Christion Thompson played an active 22 minutes, registering five rebounds and a team-best four assists.
- Earl Watson also provided a spark off the bench, tallying six points, six boards, and three blocks in 20 minutes.
- Rhody's 63.4% shooting from the floor ranks as the 5th-best FG% mark in program history.
- Additionally, the Rams' 70.0% (14-20) shooting from the floor in the first half was the highest single-half proficiency mark since URI connected on 80.0% (16-20) in the second half vs. UMass Lowell last season on Nov. 16, 2014.
Stat of the Game
15 - Rhody dished out a season-high 15 assists tonight. Entering the game, the team had 15 assists total through the American and Valpo games.
Rhode Island will travel to Mexico to play in the Cancun Challenge, opening up play against TCU on Tuesday night at 6 p.m. The game can be seen live nationally on CBS Sports Network.
The Rhody Sports Network will air the game live on B101 (101.5 FM), with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull. The pre-game show begins 30 minutes before tipoff.