How It Happened:
A late Dayton push over the final 3:28 proved to be the different as Rhode Island dropped a 56-52 decision in the semifinals of the 2015 Atlantic 10 Championship.
After an E.C. Matthews 3-pointer knotted the score at 47-47 with 3:28 to play, the Flyers scored six unanswered over the next 2:20 to take a six-point lead. The Rams (22-9) missed two 3-point attempts and committed two turnovers in their next four possessions as UD took a 53-47 lead with just over a minute to play. A trey by Jared Terrell with 22 seconds to play made it a two-point game (54-52) but the Rams could not get any closer.
In the first half, Dayton led by as many as seven points (13-7, 9:34) but Rhody would outscore Dayton, 13-5, over the next 4:34 and took a one-point lead (19-18) on a Terrell layup. There were two ties and three lead changes through the first 20 minutes of play.
Inside the Box Score and Beyond:
* E.C. Matthews led all scorers with 16 points - connecting on 4-of-9 from the perimeter - while also grabbing four rebounds in 34 minutes of play.
* Gilvydas Biruta added 14 points and nine rebounds in 26 minutes of action. The senior forward made 8-of-8 from the free throw line.
* T.J. Buchanan came off the bench to prove why he is one of the best sixth-man players in the Atlantic 10 . The senior from Kalamazoo, Mich. added 12 points, four boards and three steals.
* The freshmen backcourt of Jared Terrell and Jarvis Garrett each added eight points and four assists. Each player knocked down two 3-pointers as the Rams were 8-of-16 from beyond the arc for the game.
* URI connected on all 10 of its free throw attempts on the afternoon. Biruta made ann eight of his foul shots, while Garrett made his two trips to the line count.
* The Rams held the overall edge on the glass, 30-28, but Dayton grabbed 10 offensive boards to eight for URI. The Rams managed 10 second chance points on the afternoon.
* Rhode Island committed a season-high 21 turnovers in the game, which translated to 20 points for UD.
Stat of the Game:
47.1% - Eight of Rhody's 17 field goals came from beyond the arc - accounting for almost half of the Rams' makes for the game.
Rhody's A-10 Tournament Run Ends in Semis; Fall Late to Dayton 56-52
How It Happened: