(photo credit: Erik Schelkun, Elsestar Images)
How It Happened:
Rhode Island dropped just its third road game in A-10 play tonight at Dayton, 75-59.
The Rams (20-8; 12-5 A-10) traded baskets with the Flyers (23-6; 13-4 A-10) for the first seven minutes of play, taking as much as a five-point lead after an E.C. Matthews 3-pointer (16-11, 13:19). Dayton responded with a 7-1 push to take a one-point edge, at 18-17, with 11:12 left.
After a Biggie Minnis free throw made it 20-18 with 10:16 left, the Flyers outscored URI, 12-3 and took the lead for good. The lead grew to as many as nine and UD held a 36-28 advantage at the break.
In the second half, Dayton built a 13-point lead (43-30) with 17:25 to play, but Rhode Island would fight back with a 13-6 push, cutting it to a six-point deficit (49-43, 11:25). The Flyers would put the game out of reach with a 17-6 run over the next seven minutes.
Inside the Box Score and Beyond:
* E.C. Matthews led Rhode Island with 18 points. The sophomore also added six rebounds and three assists.
* Hassan Martin knocked down 6-of-7 shots from the floor, good for 14 points. Martin also had four boards and six blocks. It is his fifth game this season with at least six blocks.
* Jarvis Garrett added eight points and three assists in 37 minutes. Fellow frosh Jared Terrell added seven points.
* Senior captain T.J. Buchanan added six points off the bench before fouling out in 10 minutes of play.
* Rhode Island shot 50.0% from the floor (22-44) - its eighth game of the season connecting on at least half of its field goal attempts.
* Conversely, the Rams yielded 75 points - second-most by an opponent this season (76 - Kansas) - and 57.1% shooting from the floor. URI entered the game with a 40.0% FG% defense mark - 1st in the A-10 and 58th nationally.
* Dayton attempted 31 free throws, to just 23 for Rhode Island.
Stat of the Game:
5 - This was the fifth game this season that Hassan Martin missed just one field goal attempt. The sophomore forward was 6-of-7 from the floor.
The Rams close out the regular season on Saturday when they host Saint Joseph's. The game will serve as the annual Senior Day, with the pre-game ceremony for T.J. Buchanan, Gilvydas Biruta, Eric Youncofski beginning at approximately 1:40.
All fans are urged to be at the Ryan Center to celebrate the final home game for these three outstanding student-athletes.
The game will be televised live on OSN and fans can also tune into the Rhody Sports Network and B101 (101.5 FM) for the call, with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull.