Game Notes at La Salle
TV: NBC Sports Network - Russ Thaler; Ben Howland
AUDIO: B101 (101.5 FM) - Steve McDonald; Don Kaull
GEORGE'S OF GALILEE VIEWING PARTY
URI Athletics and proud partner George's of Galilee are excited to present the Official Rhody/La Salle Viewing Party!
Head to George's for the game on Saturday, beginning at 11:30 a.m. in the newly renovated second floor lounge to cheer on your Rams as they take on La Salle on NBC Sports Network.
George's is offering all attendees a complimentary beer or wine upon arrival, in addition to free passed hors d'oeuvres, half-price appetizers, and $2 Miller Lites throughout the game.
George's of Galilee is located at 250 Sand Hill Cove Road, Narragansett, RI, 02882
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS LA SALLE
- Rhode Island and La Salle play the second of their two regular season matchups.
- URI holds a 22-8 lead in the all-time series, which dates back to 1976-77.
- The Rams snapped a four-game slide vs. the Explorers earlier this year with their 59-47 victory in Kingston on Jan. 22.
- Rhody has lost its last two games at Tom Gola Arena.
- La Salle assistant coach Horace "Pappy" Owens is a 1983 graduate of URI and was inducted into the Athletics Hall of Fame in 1996. He finished his Rhody career with 1,750 points.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81 in the Eastern 8, Rhode Island has posted a 251-309 all-time record in Atlantic 10 regular season conference play.
- The Rams' 11-4 start ties the best start in A-10 play in program history.
- Additionally, the 11 conference wins are the most since the 2008-09 season (11-5)
- Rhody had seven A-10 wins in January for the first time since the 2006-07 season.
- URI was picked to finish sixth according to the 2014-15 A-10 Preseason Poll.
- Last season, Rhody was 5-11 in A-10 play, finishing in 11th place in the standings.
- The Rams earned their 250th A-10 victory on Feb. 18, 2015 at home vs. UMass.
- Rhode Island played its 500th A-10 game all-time at Fordham (Jan. 18, 2012).
RHODE ISLAND ENJOYING ONE OF THE PROGRAM'S BEST STARTS
- With 19 wins through 26 games, URI is off to its best start since the 2009-10 season. That year, Rhody was 20-6.
- In Atlantic 10 play, the 11-4 record through 15 games ties for the best start in program history (1987-88, 1997-98).
- The Rams have registered two separate five-game win streaks in a single-season for the first time since 1997-98.
- Rhody has suffered back-to-back losses just once this season - vs. VCU (Jan. 13) and at UMass (Jan. 17).
FIRST TIME IN FIRST PLACE THIS LATE IN FEBRUARY
- Today's game marks the latest calendar date that Rhode Island has held a share of first place in the Atlantic 10 standings.
- The Rams are currently tied atop the A-10 (thru games of Feb. 26) with an 11-4 record, along with VCU, Dayton, and Davidson.
- On Feb. 28, 2009, Rhode Island was in second place in the A-10 with a 10-4 mark. Xavier was 11-3 at that point.
- During the 1997-98 season, Rhody ended the regular season on Feb. 28 with a win over Fordham which put the Rams at 12-4 in league play and a two-way tie for second place in the A-10 East with UMass. Temple earned the #1 seed with a 13-3 A-10 mark.
- A year earlier (1996-97), Rhode Island was again in the hunt for the regular season title with an 11-4 record on Feb. 28, but sat a game behind Saint Joseph's in the A-10 East (12-3) and Xavier in the A-10 West (12-3).
- During the 1987-88, URI had a stellar 13-4 league record, but again was in second place behind top-ranked Temple (17-0).
YOUTH IS SERVED DURING RHODY REVIVAL
- In terms of scoring and minutes played by freshmen and sophomores, Rhode Island ranks near the top of the Atlantic 10.
- Rhody frosh have played 25.4% of the team's minutes, while sophomores have played 32.4% - combining for third-most in the A-10.
- VCU leads the league in total minutes for freshmen (21.4%, 6th) and sophomores (38.9%, 2nd) - totalling a combined 60.3%.
- Scoring-wise, URI ranks second in combined scoring efforts (64.7%), with freshmen (22.1%, 4th) and sophomores (42.6%, 3rd).
- Saint Louis - getting 67.5% of its scoring from first (48.5%, 1st) and second-year (19.0, 10th) players - leads the A-10.
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - FEBRUARY 28
- Rhode Island is 18-12 overall and 4-4 in Atlantic 10 all-time in games played on the February 28 calendar date.
- URI and La Salle matched up on Feb. 28, 1981, with the Rams earning a 70-60 victory.
- February 28 also marks the celebrations of National Public Sleeping and National Chocolate Souffle Days.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACT(S) YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Since entering the starting lineup on Jan. 17 at UMass, Jarvis Garrett is averaging 7.4 points, 3.4 assists, and has an assist/turnover ratio of 2.47:1. Prior to the UMass game, Garrett was averaging 5.0 points, 1.9 assists and had a 1.90:1 a/t ratio.
- Hassan Martin has grabbed 10 or more rebounds on nine occasions this season. The Rams are 7-2 in those games.
- Additionally, when Martin grabs 10 or more boards this year, he averages 4.3 blocked shots in those games.
- Rhode Island has made just one 3-point field goal on three occasions this season - vs. Fordham (1-14), vs. VCU (1-8), and vs Davidson (1-19). All three of those games were at home.
MARTIN NINE SHY OF RANKING THIRD NATIONALLY IN FIELD GOAL %
- Hassan Martin is nine field goals made shy of qualifying for the national rankings in FG%. NCAA minimums are 5 FGM/game.
- Martin would tie for third nationally, connecting on 62.7% of his shots from the floor (121-193) - tops in the Atlantic 10.
- The URI single-season record for FG% is 61.2% (175-286), set by Kenny Green during the 1987-88 season.
E.C. MATTHEWS ONE OF 16 NATIONAL FINALISTS FOR JERRY WEST AWARD
- Sophomore guard E.C. Matthews is one of 16 national finalists for the first-ever Jerry West Award.
- The Jerry West Award is in its inaugural year and recognizes the top shooting guards in Division I men's college basketball.
- Earlier this season, Matthews was also named to the national watch list for the Bob Cousy Award.
- Matthews leads Rhode Island and ranks among the top scorers in the Atlantic 10, checking in at 16.3 points per game.
- The Detroit, Mich. native has seven games with 20+ points this season and has reached double figures in 19 of Rhody's 24 games A two-time Atlantic 10 Player of the Week, Matthews has led the Rams in scoring on 13 occasions this season and 26 times in his two year career. Matthews has connected on 47 3-pointers this season - which ranks him eighth in the Atlantic 10.
- In early March, the current list of 16 finalists will be narrowed down to five players and the winner will be presented at the new ESPN College Basketball Awards Show live from Club Nokia in Los Angeles, CA on Friday, April 10.
CONFERENCE CALL - NOTABLE RHODY RANKINGS IN A-10-ONLY STATISTICS
- 15 games into the Atlantic 10 schedule, here are some highlights of where Rhode Island sits in the A-10-only statistical rankings.
- Individually, Hassan Martin leads in blocked shots (4.1 bpg) and is second in FG% (58.8%). He is also fourth in rebounding (9.2 rpg).
- Jared Terrell is fourth in FT% (82.5%) and fifth in steals (1.7 spg). E.C. Matthews checks in at eighth in scoring (15.6 ppg).
- As a team, the Rams lead the conference in scoring defense (59.9 ppg), FG% defense (.409) and blocked shots (6.7 bpg) and rank third in steals (7.0 spg) and 3FG% defense (28.6%).
THE JARED TERRELL FACTOR
- The Rams are 12-1 when Jared Terrell reaches double-figures in the scoring column.
- The lone loss was vs. Georgia Tech during the Orlando Classic.
- When Terrell scores more than 10 points, Rhody is 12-0.
THE 20/2/0 CLUB
- Five Rhody players have posted at least 20 minutes, two assists, and zero turnovers in a game this season.
- T.J. Buchanan leads the way with eight games: (Nebraska, Kansas, Georgia Tech, Detroit, VCU, La Salle, Richmond, Saint Louis).
- Other Rams with 20/2/0 performances: Jarvis Garrett, five (Nebraska, Delaware State, GW, SLU, Davidson); Gilvydas Biruta, three (Pace, Brown, Saint Louis); Jared Terrell, three (Massachusetts, Brown, at Saint Louis); Jarelle Reischel, one (UMass Lowell).
GETTING DEFENSIVE - A DEEPER LOOK AT SOME OF THE NUMBERS
- KenPom.com ranks the Rams 9th nationally in defensive efficiency - 90.1 (points allowed per 100 possessions) and among the top 20 in defensive eFG% (14th - 43.8%) and defensive turnover% (16th - 23.2%).
- SCORING DEFENSE: The Rams are 17th nationally/1st in the A-10 in scoring defense, yielding just 58.6 points per game.
- Through 26 games, only 10 URI opponents have scored more than 60 points in regulation and five did not break the 50 point mark.
- URI held back-to-back opponents (La Salle & St. Bonaventure) to fewer than 50 points for the first time since the 2005-06 campaign.
- That season, the Rams limited Brown to 40 points on Nov. 26, 2005 before holding Boston University to 38 points on Nov. 29, 2005.
- 3FG% DEFENSE: URI ranks 6th nationally/1st in the A-10 in 3FG defense, yielding just 28.1% from beyond the arc.
- Only four opponents (Kansas, Brown, VCU, Saint Joseph's) have made more than five 3-point field goals in a game versus the Rams.
- FG% DEFENSE: The Rams' defense is holding foes to just 39.9% shooting from the floor - 61st nationally and 1st in the A-10.
- In 11 of its 19 wins, Rhody has held its opponent under the 40.0% mark from the floor.