GAME NOTES vs. Davidson
TV: OSN - Eric Frede; Abu Bakr
AUDIO: B101 (101.5 FM) - Steve McDonald; Don Kaull
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS DAVIDSON
- Rhody and Davidson meet on the hardwood for the fourth time overall and the first as members of the Atlantic 10.
- The Rams hold a 2-1 edge in the all-time series.
- Rhode Island won both games of a home/home series in 2009-10 and 2010-11.
- The Rams earned a 75-65 win at Belk Arena on Nov. 28, 2009 and took a 71-58 victory at the Ryan Center on Nov. 27, 2010.
- In the first meeting between the two schools, Davidson earned a 95-65 win on March 7, 1966 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81 in the Eastern 8, Rhode Island has posted a 251-308 all-time record in Atlantic 10 regular season conference play.
- The Rams' 11-3 start is the best start in A-10 play in program history.
- Additionally, the 11 conference wins are the most since the 2008-09 season (11-5)
- Rhody had seven A-10 wins in January for the first time since the 2006-07 season.
- URI was picked to finish sixth according to the 2014-15 A-10 Preseason Poll.
- Last season, Rhody was 5-11 in A-10 play, finishing in 11th place in the standings.
- The Rams earned their 250th A-10 victory on Feb. 18, 2015 at home vs. UMass.
- Rhode Island played its 500th A-10 game all-time at Fordham (Jan. 18, 2012).
RHODE ISLAND AT THE ALEX AND ANI COURT AT THE THOMAS M. RYAN CENTER
- Rhode Island holds a 130-70 all-time record in the Thomas M. Ryan Center and are 12-1 at home this year on the Alex and Ani Court.
- It marks the 10th time in venue history (13 years) that the Rams have won 10 or more home games.
- The Rams' first victory in the building was a 73-71 overtime affair vs. USC on Nov. 26, 2002.
THE NINTH ANNUAL PINK OUT GAME
- Tonight's game marks the ninth annual Pink Out game, presented by South County Hospital, Lexus of Warwick, and Bank RI.
- Rhode Island was the first NCAA Division I school to hold a breast cancer charity event in association with a men's basketball game.
- URI is 3-5 all-time in Pink Out games, dating back to the first game vs. Massachusetts on Jan. 24, 2007.
- Since the 2006-07 season, the Pink Out game has raised more than $50,000 for the Gloria Gemma Breast Cancer Resource Foundation.
- In 2012, Carl Jones (Saint Joseph's) holds the Pink Out scoring record (28 points), Travis Taylor (Xavier) grabbed a Pink Out-best 17 rebounds; Rhody's Parfait Bitee shares the assist record (7) with three others.
RHODE ISLAND ENJOYING ONE OF THE PROGRAM'S BEST STARTS
- With 19 wins through 25 games, URI is off to its best start since the 2009-10 season. That year, Rhody was also 19-6.
- In Atlantic 10 play, the 11-3 record through 14 games marks the best start in program history.
- The Rams have registered two separate five-game win streaks in a single-season for the first time since 1997-98.
YOUTH IS SERVED DURING RHODY REVIVAL
- In terms of scoring and minutes played by freshmen and sophomores, Rhode Island ranks near the top of the Atlantic 10.
- Rhody frosh have played 25.4% of the team's minutes, while sophomores have played 32.4% - combining for third-most in the A-10.
- VCU leads the league in total minutes for freshmen (21.4%, 6th) and sophomores (38.9%, 2nd) - totalling a combined 60.3%.
- Scoring-wise, URI ranks second in combined scoring efforts (64.7%), with freshmen (22.1%, 4th) and sophomores (42.6%, 3rd).
- Saint Louis - getting 67.5% of its scoring from first (48.5%, 1st) and second-year (19.0, 10th) players - leads the A-10.
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - FEBRUARY 25
- Rhode Island is 21-10 overall and 6-5 in Atlantic 10 all-time in games played on the February 25 calendar date.
- The first recorded win in program history came on Feb. 25, 1904 - a 25-8 victory over East Greenwich Academy.
- Other notable Feb. 25 wins: Rhody's thrilling OT 93-91 win over Dayton for the 2009 Pink Out; 64-62 home win vs. SLU (2012).
- February 25 also marks the celebrations of National Clam Chowder and National Chocolate Covered Nut Days.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACT(S) YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT - UNSTOPPABLE FORCE VS. IMMOVABLE OBJECT?
- Rhode Island leads the A-10 and ranks 17th nationally, holding foes to 58.6 points per game.
- Davidson is the top scoring team in the A-10 - and fifth-best nationally - at 80.4 points per game.
- Further among A-10 foes, Rhode Island leads the league in FG% defense (39.8%), Davidson is tops in FG% offense (47.3%).
- From beyond the arc, Davidson is the A-10 leader in 3FG% (39.5%), while URI leads in 3FG% defense (28.8%).
- The Wildcats are third nationally in 3FG made (268); the Rams defense have yielded the second-fewest 3FG made (94).
TERRELL EARNS SECOND ATLANTIC 10 ROOKIE OF THE WEEK AWARD
- Jared Terrell earned his second Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week award of the season on Feb. 23 after leading the Rams to two wins.
- The freshman guard averaged 15.0 points, 2.5 rebounds, 2.5 assists, and 1.5 steals while connecting on 52.4% of his field goals.
- Against UMass (Feb. 18), the 6-3 guard scored 14 points and dished out a career-high five assists (zero turnovers) in 26 minutes.
- At George Mason (Feb. 21), Terrell scored 16 points - 12 coming in the second half. He also grabbed five boards vs. the Patriots.
- The Weymouth, Mass. native also selected as the A-10's top rookie on Feb. 2 prior to being named the CBSSports.com/Wayman Tisdale Award National Freshman of the Week on Tuesday, Feb. 3.
MARTIN 11 SHY OF RANKING FIFTH NATIONALLY IN FIELD GOAL %
- Hassan Martin is 11 field goals made shy of qualifying for the national rankings in FG%. NCAA minimums are 5 FGM/game.
- Martin would rank fifth nationally, connecting on 62.3% of his shots from the floor (114-183) - tops in the Atlantic 10.
- The URI single-season record for FG% is 61.2% (175-286), set by Kenny Green during the 1987-88 season.
E.C. MATTHEWS ONE OF 16 NATIONAL FINALISTS FOR JERRY WEST AWARD
- Sophomore guard E.C. Matthews is one of 16 national finalists for the first-ever Jerry West Award.
- The Jerry West Award is in its inaugural year and recognizes the top shooting guards in Division I men's college basketball.
- Earlier this season, Matthews was also named to the national watch list for the Bob Cousy Award.
- Matthews leads Rhode Island and ranks among the top scorers in the Atlantic 10, checking in at 16.3 points per game.
- The Detroit, Mich. native has seven games with 20+ points this season and has reached double figures in 19 of Rhody's 24 games A two-time Atlantic 10 Player of the Week, Matthews has led the Rams in scoring on 13 occasions this season and 26 times in his two year career. Matthews has connected on 47 3-pointers this season - which ranks him eighth in the Atlantic 10.
- In early March, the current list of 16 finalists will be narrowed down to five players and the winner will be presented at the new ESPN College Basketball Awards Show live from Club Nokia in Los Angeles, Calif. on Friday, April 10.
CONFERENCE CALL - NOTABLE RHODY RANKINGS IN A-10-ONLY STATISTICS
- 14 games into the Atlantic 10 schedule, here are some highlights of where Rhode Island sits in the A-10-only statistical rankings.
- Individually, Hassan Martin leads in blocked shots (4.2 bpg) and is second in FG% (58.7%). He is also sixth in rebounding (8.8 rpg).
- Jared Terrell is second in FT% (85.7%) and fourth in steals (1.8 spg). T.J. Buchanan is fifth in steals (1.7 spg). E.C. Matthews checks in at eighth in scoring (15.4 ppg).
- As a team, the Rams lead the conference in blocked shots (6.7 bpg) and scoring defense (59.9 ppg), are second in FG% defense (40.9%), and rank third in steals (6.9 spg) and fourth in 3FG% defense (30.0%).
THE JARED TERRELL FACTOR
- The Rams are 12-1 when Jared Terrell reaches double-figures in the scoring column.
- The lone loss was vs. Georgia Tech during the Orlando Classic.
- When Terrell scores more than 10 points, Rhody is 12-0.
HIGH PERCENTAGE SHOTS ABOUND - MARTIN, BIRUTA RANK 1ST, 3rd IN A-10 FG%
- Hassan Martin (114-183, 62.3%) and Gilvydas Biruta (82-143, 57.3%) rank first and third, respectively, in the A-10 in FG%.
- Additionally, forward Earl Watson is shooting 62.0% (31-50) from the floor in a reserve role.
- As a team, Rhody ranks third in the A-10 and 72nd nationally in FG% (45.8%).
MATTHEWS ROLLING ON 20'S
- E.C. Matthews has scored 20 or more points on 16 occasions in his 55-game career, including seven this season.
- The sophomore guard has four games with 25 or more points - including a season-high 27 points at Providence on Dec. 10.
- This season, he ranks fourth in the A-10 among those players with multiple 20-point performances.
THE 20/2/0 CLUB
- Five Rhody players have posted at least 20 minutes, two assists, and zero turnovers in a game this season.
- T.J. Buchanan leads the way with eight games: (Nebraska, Kansas, Georgia Tech, Detroit, VCU, La Salle, Richmond, and Saint Louis).
- Other Rams with 20/2/0 performances: Jarvis Garrett, four (Nebraska, Delaware State, GW, and Saint Louis); Gilvydas Biruta, three (Pace, Brown, Saint Louis); Jared Terrell, three (Massachusetts, Brown, at Saint Louis); Jarelle Reischel, one (UMass Lowell).
RHODE ISLAND'S RECORD WHEN...
- Shooting less than 40% from the floor - 4-1; between 40-44.9% -3-3; 45-49.9% - 5-2; 50% or better - 7-0
- Scoring less than 60 points - 3-1; 60-69 points - 7-5; 70-79 - 5-0; 80 or more - 4-0
- Holding Opponents under 40% from the floor - 11-1; between 40-44.9% -3-2; 45-49.9% - 4-2; 50% or better - 1-1
- Allowing less than 60 points - 12-1; 60-69 points - 6-4; 70-79 points - 1-1; 80 or more - 0-2
DAYS AND TIMES, WINS AND LOSSES
- Rhode Island is 7-4 in night games (after 5 p.m.) and 12-2 in day games so far in 2014-15.
- Additionally, the Rams are 7-4 during weeknights and 12-2 on the weekend.
- The winningest day of the week has been Saturday, with the Rams earning nine wins. Losses this season have come on Tuesday (VCU), Wednesday (Providence, Saint Joseph's), Thursday (Kansas), Saturday (at UMass), and Sunday (Georgia Tech).