How It Happened:
Rhode Island saw its five-game win streak snapped, narrowly falling at Saint Joseph's, 65-64.
The Rams (16-6; 8-3 A-10) took a one-point lead with 51 seconds left on a Hassan Martin layup. Martin was fouled on the play but did not convert the free throw and Rhody led 63-62. After a defensive stop by Rhody on the next possession, Martin again went to the line, connecting on 1-of-2 and giving the Rams a 64-62 with 27 ticks to play.
SJU's Chris Wilson connected on the eventual go-ahead 3-pointer with seven seconds remaining. On the ensuing play, Rhody drove to the basket but could not convert.
URI led 35-31 at the break and built as much as a nine-point lead (45-36) with 16:34 to play. The Hawks scored seven unanswered points over the next 1:20, cutting it to 45-43 wit 14:52 to go. The two teams traded baskets for the seven minutes before SJU took its first lead of the game with 7:04 to play (57-56). There were two ties and three lead changes in the second half.
Inside the Box Score and Beyond:
* E.C. Matthews led Rhode Island with 17 points - 13 coming in the first half. He connected on 3-of-7 from the outside, while adding three rebounds, four assists, and two steals in 27 minutes.
* Jarvis Garrett scored a career-best 14 points, while dishing out two assists and pulling down three boards.
* Hassan Martin added nine points, six boards, and three blocks. He now has 149 career swats, tied for third on URI's career blocks list.
* T.J. Buchanan led the Rams with seven rebounds on the night. In 32 minutes of reserve play, he added six points, a blocked shot, and two steals.
* Biggie Minnis added five points, four assists and three boards in 27 minutes.
* Both teams pulled down 34 overall rebounds and 11 offensive boards on the night. SJU has 12 second-chance points while the Rams had 10.
* SJU connected on seven 3-pointers, tying for the highest total by a Ram opponent (Kansas - 7, Nov. 25, 2014).
Stats of the Game:
32 - Rhode Island scored 32 points in the paint; exactly half of its overall point total.
The Rams host Saint Louis on Saturday, Feb. 14 at 2 p.m. at the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
The game will be televised live locally on OSN and will also be cleared on SNY and Fox Sports Midwest.
Fans can also tune into the Rhody Sports Network and B101 (101.5 FM) for the call, with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull.
Rhode Island Falls Late at Saint Joseph's, 65-64
How It Happened: