How It Happened
Rhode Island (6-3) used its defense to put the game away early, leading by as many as 15 points in the first half en route to an 83-44 win over Delaware State Saturday.
With Delaware State (4-6) up 10-9 with 14:57 left in the half, the Rams went on a 20-4 run that was sparked by the defense. Rhode Island scored six straight fast-break points, as Jared Terrell and E.C. Matthews scored on back-to-back layups set up by steals, and Hassan Martin had a dunk following a blocked shot by Matthews. Gilvydas Biruta has six points during the run, including a pair of dunks.
The Rams scored 11 points off turnovers and limited their guests to 21.9 percent from the floor in the first half as they controlled the tempo throughout. Rhody pushed the lead to as many as 41 points in the second half as its lead was never seriously challenged.
Inside the Box Score
- The defense was strong all day, as Rhode Island had a season-high nine blocked shots to go with 10 steals.
- The pressure defense led to 28 fast-break points for the Rams, compared to just four for Delaware State.
- Rhode Island's stellar perimeter defense continued, as Delaware State shot just 21.1 percent (4-of-19) from beyond the arc. After hitting two of its first three attempts, Delaware State missed its next 10 from deep.
- Rhode Island allowed just 44 points, marking the seventh time in nine games the Rams have held their opponent to 60 points or less.
- Sophomore Hassan Martin filled the stat sheet, finishing with eight points, seven rebounds, three blocked shots and three steals. It was the 15th in his career Martin has recorded three or more blocks in a game.
- Guards E.C. Matthews and Jared Terrell each reached double digits in scoring for the seventh time this season, scoring 14 and 11 points, respectively.
- Matthews also tied his career high with two blocked shots.
- Gilvydas Biruta had 13 points, five rebounds, one block and one steal in 20 minutes.
- Freshman Jarvis Garrett set career highs with 10 points and six assists. During one stretch in the second half, he scored six straight points for the Rams.
- Jarelle Reischel scored 10 points and had seven rebounds in just 13 minutes off the bench.
- Junior Earl Watson scored four points, grabbed three rebounds and blocked two shots in 10 minutes. All four of his points came at the free throw line.
- Walk-ons Eric Youncofski, Shane Plunkett and Rory Temkin all got into the game. Youncofski scored two points, hitting a pair of free throws. The appearance was the Rhody debut for Temkin, a Narragansett native and Bishop Hendricken alumnus.
- Seven different players played at least 18 minutes for the Rams. Only E.C. Matthews (28) played more than 22 minutes.
Stat of the Game
54 – Rhode Island scored 54 points in the paint, the majority of which came on fast break layups and dunks.
Rhode Island is off for the next week as the school is in its final exam period for the fall semester. The Rams start back up with a home game against Detroit on Saturday, Dec. 20 at 4 p.m.
The Rhody Sports Network will carry this - and every game - live on B101 (101.5 FM), with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull.