What It Means:
Rhode Island outscored Georgia Tech 43-35 in the second half and closed on an 8-2 push under the final minute of play, but fell, 64-61 to Georgia Tech in the fifth place game at the Orlando Classic.
The Rams led 16-12 with 9:41 left in the first half after a T.J. Buchanan jumper. But the Yellow Jackets would close the half on a 17-2 run, taking a 29-18 lead into the break. URI committed 13 first half turnovers, translating into 14 GT points.
Tech would lead by as many as 14 in the game, but Rhody shot 53.8% from the floor to chip away at the deficit. E.C. Matthews and Hassan Martin each had 10 points in the second frame.
Inside the Box Score and Beyond:
* E.C. Matthews again led all scorers with 17 points. He made 6-of-13 from the floor and 3-of-8 from behind the arc. He added four assists and two steals in 35 minutes.
* Suffering through early first half foul trouble, Hassan Martin finished with 10 points, a game-high eight rebounds, a blocked shot and two steals.
* Jared Terrell was the third Ram in double figures, adding 10 points and two steals.
* T.J. Buchanan provided a spark off the bench, with season-highs in scoring (9) and assists (5). The senior made 3-of-4 from the floor and 3-of-4 from the charity stripe.
* After committing 13 first half turnovers, Rhody had only three in the second half. Their defensive effort caused eight Georgia Tech turns in the second half.
* The Rams were whistled for a season-high 25 fouls and the Yellow Jackets held a 31-18 advantage at the charity stripe. Tech was 21-31 from the line,
Stat of the Day:
34 - Rhode Island scored 34 of its 61 points in the paint.
The Rams travel to Southern Miss on Saturday, Dec. 6. Game time in Hattiesburg is set for 8 p.m. ET.
The Rhody Sports Network will also carry this - and every game - live on B101 (101.5 FM), with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull. The pre-game show begins 30 minutes before tipoff.
Rams' Late Rally Falls Short; Drop 64-61 Decision to Georgia Tech in Orlando Classic
What It Means: