What It Means:
Rhode Island drops its first game of the 2014-15 season, 76-60, to #11/12 Kansas in the first round of the Orlando Classic.
The Rams fell behind early, after starters Biggie Minnis and Hassan Martin were whistled for two fouls apiece in the first five minutes of play. Coming into the contest, the Rams led the nation in 3-point FG defense, but the Jayhawks connected on 7-of-14 from the perimeter and led 43-25 at the break.
Rhody got as close as 13 with 7:00 to play and outscored Kansas, 35-33 in the final 20 minutes of play.
Inside the Box Score and Beyond:
* E.C. Matthews led all scorers with 20 points. It his his second straight 20-point performance, 11th career, and ninth in his last 16 games.
* The sophomore connected on 3-of-8 from the perimeter and grabbed five rebounds.
* Gilvydas Biruta made 7-of-11 from the floor and grabbed seven boards in 28 minutes of play.
* Biruta's driving baseline dunk with 7 minutes to play marked his 1,000th career point. In 100 career games between Rutgers and Rhode Island, Biruta has tallied 1,002 total points.
* Super sub Jarelle Reischel knocked down two 3-pointers off the bench, for his six points. Rams reserves were outscored, 33-14 in the game.
* Rhody was out rebounded for the first time this season, 40-31. The Rams grabbed 36.3% of its offensive rebounding chances and tallied 10 second-chance points.
* Fourteen of URI's 35 second-half points came in the paint.
Stat of the Day:
11 - Rhode Island committed a season-low 11 turnovers.
The Rams take on Santa Clara tomorrow (Friday) at 2:30 p.m. on ESPNU.
The Rhody Sports Network will also carry this - and every game - live on B101 (101.5 FM), with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull. The pre-game show begins at 2 p.m.
Rams Fall to #11/12 Kansas in Orlando Classic Opener
What It Means: