How It Happened
Rhode Island never trailed as it capitalized on a decided size advantage to defeat UMass Lowell 72-56 Sunday afternoon.
The Rams (2-0) outscored their guests 52-26 in the paint as Rhody did most of its damage close to the basket. For the second straight game, sophomore forward Hassan Martin led the Rams in scoring, finishing with 18 points on 8-of-10 shooting from the floor.
Junior Jarelle Reischel scored all 10 of his points in the opening half to help the Rams get ahead by as many as 11 points. UMass Lowell (0-2) managed to cut the deficit to five points late in the first half, but never got any closer. Rhody pushed its lead to 14 points on a T.J. Buchanan layup with 11:31 to go, and the lead was never seriously threatened again.
Inside the Box Score
- Hassan Martin has led Rhode Island in scoring in both games to start the season. He scored 18 and grabbed eight rebounds for the second straight game.
- Martin also blocked two shots Sunday.
- Freshman Jared Terrell had 12 points and made 2-of-3 from beyond the arc. Junior Jarelle Reischel was the third Ram in double digits with 10 points to go with five rebounds.
- Rhode Island had a 37-18 edge on the boards.
- Rhode Island's perimeter defense has been strong through two games. UMass Lowell was 3-for-9 from the 3-point arc. Opponents are now shooting just 5-for-28 from deep against the Rams this season.
- The Rams struggled with ball control, committing 18 turnovers on the day.
- As a team, the Rams shot 63.8 percent from the floor. Rhode Island shot 50 percent (36-for-72) in the opener against Pace.
- Eight different Rams played at least 12 minutes, with six players played at least 21 minutes. Other than E.C. Matthews, no Ram played more than 23 minutes. Matthews played 33 minutes.
- Rhode Island is now 31-9 all time against teams from the America East since the conference formed in 1995.
- The Rams are 10-0 against UMass Lowell.
Stats of the Day
.761 - Sophomore Hassan Martin is shooting .761 from the floor through two games. He was 8-for-10 Sunday and 8-for-11 against Pace in the opener.
The Rams host are back at home to host Nebraska Saturday, Nov. 22. The game can be seen live on OSN.
The Rhody Sports Network will also carry this - and every game - live on B101 (101.5 FM), with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull.