How It Happened
Xavier Munford knocked down a contested 3-pointer with 3.3 seconds remaining to lift Rhode Island (7-16, 2-8 Atlantic 10) to a 75-72 victory over Dayton Wednesday.
The Rams led throughout the second half after taking a 36-35 lead with 18:21 remaining on a Nikola Malesevic layup. Rhody pushed the lead to as many as eight, but Dayton (13-11, 3-7 A-10) rallied back. Guard Kevin Dillard hit a long 3-pointer with nine seconds remaining to tie the score, setting up Munford's winner.
Inside the Box Score
* Rhode Island used strong ball movement to set up its scoring chances all night. The Rams had a season-best 19 assists, with five different players notching at least one.
* Senior Nikola Malesevic had one of his finest performances as a Ram, recording his second career double-double with 13 points and 10 rebounds. He added a team-high and career-best seven assists to go with three steals and two blocked shots.
* Despite struggling from the floor early and starting out 1-for-7 from the floor, junior Xavier Munford finished with a game-high 18 points as he hit on five of his final seven field goals.
* Freshman Mike Aaman scored 11 points in 18 minutes before fouling out. Also reaching double digits in points was sophomore Mike Powell (10). Powell filled the stat sheet, contributing five assists, five rebounds and one steal.
* Each team had four players reach double figures in scoring. For Dayton, Dyshawn Pierre and Kevin Dillard had 15 apiece, while Devin Oliver scored 12 and Vee Sanford had 11 points.
* Freshman Jordan Hare made his presence felt in the paint, scoring eight points, grabbing seven rebounds and blocking three shots in 16 minutes.
* The Rams had nine blocks as a team, with Hare (3), Munford (3), Malesevic (2) and sophomore T.J. Buchanan (1) all getting into the act.
* Rhode Island was 10-for-22 from beyond the arc, marking the fourth time this season it has made at least 10 in a game. The Rams are 4-0 in such games.
* The victory snapped a six-game losing streak for the Rams.
The Rams travel to Duquesne Friday, Feb. 16. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m.
Steve McDonald and Don Kaull return to bring you the call on the Beltone Hearing Aid Centers Rams Radio Network (B101 101.5 FM). This - and all Rhody games on radio - can be heard on the Internet or your smartphone device through iheart.com or the iHeartRadio app.