Rhody Hosts Dayton on Military Appreciation Night on Wednesday
Watch Live: OSN (Cox ch. 5 / 1005 HD) - Eric Frede, Abu Bakr, Mike Mancuso
Gamenotes: Rhode Island/Dayton (pdf)
Buy Tickets: ExperienceRhody.com
Promotions: Military Appreciation Night - the first 500 fans will receive a free camouflage RI hat
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS DAYTON
- The Rams face Dayton in the lone regular season meeting between the two schools.
- Last season, URI earned a 86-81 victory at Dayton on the Jan. 28, 2012.
- The Flyers lead the all-time series, which began in the 1939-40 season, 13-11.
- Rhody has captured five straight and seven of the last 10 meetings against UD.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
- Since its inaugural season in the conference during the 1980-81 season, Rhode Island has posted a 233-288 all-time record in Atlantic 10 play.
- The Rams earned their first conference victory of the 2012-13 season at Saint Louis on Jan. 19 - an 82-80 overtime win.
- Last season, Rhody finished with a 4-12 mark in conference play, putting them in 13th place in the league standings.
- On Jan. 18, 2012 - at Fordham - Rhode Island played its 500th Atlantic 10 game all-time.
RHODE ISLAND AT THE THOMAS M. RYAN CENTER
- This year marks the 10th anniversary of the Ryan Center - the home of URI men's and women's basketball.
- URI holds a 105-60 regular season record in the Ryan Center since the arena opened for play on Nov. 26, 2002 with a 73-71 victory over USC.
- Last season's victory over Hofstra on Nov. 25, 2011 was the 100th on the Ryan Center floor.
- The Rams have won 11 or more home games on five occasions - including a program-record 15 in 2009-10.
LAST TIME OUT - ST. BONAVENTURE 67, RHODE ISLAND 61 - FEBRUARY 9
- Rhody tied the game on a 3-pointer by Xavier Munford with 2:18 left, but St. Bonaventure finished the game on a 9-3 run.
- The Rams led 32-26 at the break, but the Bonnies outscored Rhody 41-29 in the second half
- Munford led the Rams with 18 points. It was his seventh straight game - and 19th game overall - scoring in double figures.
- Andre Malone was the only other Ram to reach double figures, scoring 10 points.
- Freshmen Jordan Hare and Mike Aaman each scored eight points and combined for 11 rebounds.
- Hare added three blocked shots, giving him a team-high 42 for the season.
- Alwayne Bigby had four points, three rebounds and one assist in 14 minutes off the bench.
- After shooting a combined 85 percent from the free throw line in the previous two games, Rhode Island connected on 18-of-26 (69.2 percent) from the line vs. the Bonnies.
- The Rams struggled in the turnover department, committing 18, well above their season average of 12.3 per game.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL FACT(S) YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Today's Theme: Second Chance Scoring, Assists, Free Throw Attempts
- Last time out against St. Bonaventure, Rhode Island outscored the Bonnies, 14-2, in second-chance points.
- Over the last four contests, URI is +5.0 in second-chance points per game - 13.5 sc ppg / 8.5 sc ppg for opponents.
- Mike Powell has 77 assists so far - he needs to average 3.3 assists per game through the rest of the regular season to reach the 100-assist mark for the second straight season.
- Xavier Munford's 14 free throw attempts vs. St. Bonaventure was a season-high for a Rhody player and the most FTA since Nikola Malesevic attempted 18 foul shots last year against Yale (Dec. 18, 2011).
- Of the 17 URI players who have attempted 14 or more FT since the 1996-97 season, Munford's 18 points was the lowest scoring mark.
- Since the start of Atlantic 10 play, Rhode Island has played seven of its eight games in single-digits, with an average scoring margin of 6.8 points.
- Three of the Rams' six A-10 losses have been by three points or less. URI earned an 82-80 overtime victory at Saint Louis on Jan. 19.
- Through its first eight A-10 contests last year, Rhody had lost by an average of close to 11.0 points per game.
MUNFORD SECOND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 IN SCORING
- Junior guard Xavier Munford ranks second in the Atlantic 10 in scoring, through games of Feb. 11.
- The Hillside, N.J. native checks in at 17.5 points per game, which also ranks him tied for 61st nationally.
- He has registered nine of Rhody's top ten scoring performances this season, including a 33-point effort at Auburn.
- He is fourth in scoring in Atlantic 10 games only, checking in at 17.6 points per game.
- Munford has posted nine games with 20 or more points - the most in the Atlantic 10 this season.
- Only one Rhody player - Carlton "Silk" Owens - ever finished the season atop the conference's scoring leaders (21.8 ppg, 1987-88).
MARTIN, MATTHEWS INK NATIONAL LETTERS OF INTENT
- On Wednesday, Nov. 14, head coach Dan Hurley announced the signing of Hassan Martin and E.C. Matthews.
- Martin is a 6-7, 190 lb. native of Staten Island, N.Y. and a standout forward for Curtis H.S. and the New Heights AAU program.
- His brother Phil played collegiately at UC Riverside and is playing in the NBDL.
- Martin is ranked 125th on Scout.com's latest player rankings for the class of 2013.
- Matthews is a 6-4, 180 lb. point guard from Romulus, Mich. He is one of three Division I signees from Romulus H.S. CBSSports.com ranks him No. 62 in their Top 100, while ESPN.com has him at No. 88. Matthews spent time this summer at the LeBron James Skills Academy and plays his AAU basketball with The Family.
- Matthews is ranked 72nd on Scout.com's latest player rankings - the top-rated recruit in the Atlantic 10 and the second-rated non-BCS signee for the class of 2013.
- Scout.com rates Rhode Island's recruiting class as the eighth-best nationally (non-BCS).
JORDAN HARE: RANKS AMONG NATION'S BEST IN BLOCKED SHOTS
- Jordan Hare ranks third in the Atlantic 10 and is the ninth-best freshman shot blocker in the country (2.0 bpg).
- He put forth two of the top 10 best shot blocking performances by a frosh in consecutive games, swatting seven shots against Loyola (Md.) and followed that up with six swats against George Mason.
- Hare's seven blocks were the most by a Rhody player since Dec. 13, 1984 (7, Chris Scotti vs. Bryant).
- He also had one of the top rebounding performances this season by a freshman, with 16 against Loyola (Md.).
- He is one of just two players nationally to have a 16 rebound/7 blocked shot performance this season.
- Hare has 39 blocks so far this year - the most by a Rhody freshman since Antonio Reynolds-Dean blocked 59 shots during
- the 1995-96 season.
RAMS PLAYING ONE OF THE TOUGHEST SCHEDULES IN THE COUNTRY
- Rhode Island finished its difficult and challenging non-conference schedule at 5-8. Last season, URI was 3-12 in OOC play.
- As of Feb. 11, URI's strength of schedule is 43 - second-best in the Atlantic 10 behind Butler (40)
- The 2011-12 win-loss record of Rhode Island's non-conference slate was: 290-182 (.614).
- Nine of the Rams 13 OOC opponents won 21 or more games and eight played in the postseason in 2011-12.
- Three teams - Norfolk State, Loyola (Md.), and Vermont - won their conference tournaments in 2012.
- Ohio State advanced to the 2012 NCAA Final Four and was one point away from playing in the national championship game.
- 07/23/14: E.C. Matthews to Participate as...
- 07/21/14: Biruta Named to NABC 2013-14 Honors...
- 07/16/14: Rhode Island Athletics Seeking...
- 07/11/14: ICYMI: @RhodyMBB - Summer Sessions...
- 06/26/14: Video Boards and Ribbon Wrap Among...
- 06/23/14: Pink Out Check Presented to Gloria...
- 05/30/14: June 3 Season Ticket Holder...
- 05/22/14: Travel Packages for the Orlando...
- 05/22/14: Join URI Athletics and the Alumni...
- 05/20/14: David Cox Joins Men's Basketball...
- 05/19/14: Second Annual Season Ticket Holder...
- 05/17/14: Jared Terrell Commits to Rhode...
- 05/08/14: Rhode Island's 2014-15 Atlantic 10...
- 04/29/14: Rhode Island Basketball Announces...
- 04/22/14: RSVP Now for the Men's Basketball...
- 04/17/14: Jarvis Garrett Inks National Letter...
- 04/11/14: VIDEO: "Thank You, You Really...
- 04/02/14: Preston Murphy Elevated to...
- 04/01/14: E.C. Matthews Named A Finalist for...
- 03/26/14: Barclays Center Announces Agreement...