Watch Live: OSN (Cox ch. 5/1005 HD) - Eric Frede / Chris DiSano
Gamenotes: Rhode Island/George Washington (pdf)
Buy Tickets: ExperienceRhody.com or visit the Ryan Center Box Office
Game Promotion: Megaphone Giveaway (1st 1,000 students) - presented by Beltone Hearing Aid Centers
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS GEORGE WASHINGTON
- The Rams play George Washington tonight in the lone regular season meeting between the two schools.
- George Washington holds a 28-24 lead in the all-time series and have won their last two meetings against URI.
- Last season, the Colonials earned a 69-61 victory at the Smith Center on Jan. 11, 2012.
- Rhody is 13-10 all-time vs. George Washington at home.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
- Since its inaugural season in the conference during the 1980-81 season, Rhode Island has posted a 233-282 all-time record in Atlantic 10 play.
- The Rams earned their first conference win at Saint Louis on Jan. 19, 82-80 in overtime.
- Last season, Rhody finished with a 4-12 mark in conference play, putting them in 13th place in the league standings.
- On Jan. 18, 2012 - at Fordham - Rhode Island played its 500th Atlantic 10 game all-time.
RHODE ISLAND AT THE THOMAS M. RYAN CENTER
- This year marks the 10th anniversary of the Ryan Center - the home of URI men's and women's basketball.
- URI holds a 105-57 regular season record in the Ryan Center since the arena opened for play on Nov. 26, 2002 with a 73-71 victory over USC.
- Last season's victory over Hofstra on Nov. 25, 2011 was the 100th on the Ryan Center floor.
- The Rams have won 11 or more home games on five occasions - including a program-record 15 in 2009-10.
LAST TIME OUT - RHODE ISLAND 82, SAINT LOUIS 80 (OT) - JANUARY 19
- Xavier Munford led Rhode Island with 24 points. He was 8-of-14 from the floor, including 4-of-8 from the perimeter.
- Munford's 3-pointer with 1:05 left in regulation tied it at 65-65, forcing overtime at Chaifetz Arena. It was one of several big shots by the Rams, in a game that saw 11 ties and 21 lead changes.
- The Rams connected several big perimeter shots during crunch time. Prior to the game-tying Munford shot, Mike Powell knocked down a triple from the far deep corner as the shot clock wore down, making it 62-62 with 1:46 remaining. Powell finished with nine points and four assists.
- In overtime, after SLU took a 74-71 lead with 1:47 left, Nikola Malesevic drained a deep trey from the top of the key. He finished with 14 points, five assists, and three blocked shots.
- The Rams' bench was efficient and provided a real spark in the win. Alwayne Bigby, T.J. Buchanan, and Ryan Brooks combined for 11 points, eight rebounds, an assist and three steals. The trio shot 5-of-6 from the field.
- Jordan Hare narrowly missed his first collegiate double-double, finishing with 10 points and nine rebounds to go along with three blocked shots.
- The Rams tied their season high in team assists, with 17. Rhody also had 17 dimes against SMU on Dec. 15.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL FACT(S) YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Today's Theme: Odds & Ends; more notes from the Saint Louis win
- Point guard Mike Powell has registered 10 career games in which he played at least 30 minutes and committed only one turnover. Seven of those 10 games have come this season.
- Powell has been on the floor for 90.5% of Rhode Island's minutes this season - the most in the A-10 and 18th nationally.
- Ten of Xavier Munford's 36 3-pointers have come in the final five minutes of play.
- Nikola Malesevic snapped out of his scoring slump with 14 points at Saint Louis. He had totalled just 12 points in his previous three games.
- Rhode Island has overcome two halftime deficits to win the game. Both games were on the road and both ended up going overtime - Auburn and Saint Louis.
- Rhody's 55.1% (27-49) shooting percentage at SLU was the highest single-game FG% mark since Nov. 25, 2011 when the Rams connected on 56.1% (32-57) shots from the floor vs. Hofstra.
- URI's free throw percentage against the Billikens - 85.7% (18-21) - was the highest in a game (min. 20 FTA) since Dec. 7, 2011 at home against Virginia Tech when Rhody connected on 21-of-25 from the charity stripe.
MUNFORD LEADS THE ATLANTIC 10 IN SCORING
- Junior guard Xavier Munford leads the Atlantic 10 in scoring, through games of Jan. 20.
- The Hillside, N.J. native checks in at 17.8 points per game, which also ranks him 60th nationally.
- He has registered seven of Rhody's top nine scoring performances this season, including a 33-point effort at Auburn.
- He is tied for fourth in scoring in Atlantic 10 games, checking in at 19.0 points per game.
- Munford has posted seven games with 20 or more points - tied for the most in the Atlantic 10 this season.
- Only one Rhody player - Carlton "Silk" Owens - ever finished the season atop the conference's scoring leaders (21.8 ppg, 1987-88).
FROM THE STANDPOINT OF SHARING THE BASKETBALL
- Twice this season, Rhody has registered a season-high 17 assists - against SMU on Dec. 15 and at Saint Louis on Jan. 19.
- Against SMU, the Rams posted an assist percentage of 68.0% (17 assists/25 field goals) - the highest since March 16, 2011, when Rhody dished out 20 assists to 27 field goals (74.1%) made against Miami (Ohio).
- At Saint Louis, URI registered an assist on 63.0% of its made field goals (17 assists/27 field goals).
- Rhode Island is 5-2 when is registers double-digits in the assist column; 1-8 when it does not.
TURN AROUND ON TURNOVERS
- Through their first 16 games, the Rams are averaging just 11.9 turnovers per contest - tied for 44th nationally.
- According to Ken Pomeroy's statistical analysis, Rhody's 18.7% turnover percentage (total TO/total possessions) ranks 85th nationally.
- A season ago, Rhode Island averaged 14.5 turnovers per game, which ranked 247th nationally.
- The Rams registered a season-low six turnovers against George Mason on Nov. 28.
- That was the lowest TO mark since Rhody committed a program record-low two turns against Nevada (March 22, 2010).
- Last season, Rhode Island had just eight games with 11 or fewer turnovers.
IMPROVED DEFENSIVE EFFORT IN 2012-13
- A major point of emphasis for head coach Dan Hurley is improving Rhody's defensive effort from last season.
- Last season, Rhody was one of the worst defensive teams in the country, ranking 321st out of 339 in scoring defense (75.5 points/game) and 324th in FG% defense (47.5%).
- In 2012-13, the Rams are allowing 11.2 fewer points per game and have lowered their defensive FG% to 41.3%.
- This season, the Rams have held seven opponents to 60 points or fewer, including a season-low 47 points allowed vs. Brown on Jan. 4.
- Rhode Island has allowed 70+ points just three times and 80+ points just once in regulation.
- Last year, Rhody allowed 70+ points 23 times (31 games), 80+ points 11 times, 90+ three times, and 100 once.
- Rhody has played in three overtime games this season - at home against Loyola (Md.) on Nov. 23, a double OT win at Auburn (Nov. 25), and an OT victory at Saint Louis on Jan. 19.
- Last year, Rhode Island played in five OT games (six total OT periods) - the most since the 1985-86 campaign.
- That year, URI played in six overtime games (seven total OT periods).
- Over the last five seasons, the Rams have played in 16 overtime games and are 8-8 in those contests.