Rhode Island Lineup
White (CF), Heiss (SS), Coutts (DH), Mircovich (RF), Vargas (1B), Brodeur (2B), Ulliana (C), Cavaliere (LF), Hill (3B), Cherry (P)
George Washington Lineup
Fergus (CF), Barmakian (LF), Fassnacht (SS), D'Alessandro (1B), Levin (DH), Hix (1B), Doran (3B), Kuncl (2B), Frechette (C), Edwards (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (6-12, 2-1) put runs on the board in each of the first three innings, thanks to a first-inning solo shot by Jackson Coutts, a second-inning RBI double by Laurence Hill, and a two-run double in the third by Xavier Vargas.
Meanwhile, Justin Cherry was keeping the Colonials in check, facing just one over the minimum without allowing a hit through the first four innings.
George Washington (14-9, 1-2) scored its lone run of the game in the bottom of the eighth. Cam LaFleur then replaced Cherry in the bottom of the ninth and struck out two before getting an game-ending fly out.
Inside the Box Score
- Rhody's 1-3 hitters - sophomore Austin White, senior Kevin Heiss and sophomore Jackson Coutts each had two hits on the afternoon.
- Coutts recorded his second home run of the series.
- Heiss also drew a pair of walks and scored twice. His .478 on-base percentage is tops among all URI players with nine or more starts this season.
- White scored twice as well, reaching base three times on a pair of singles and one walk.
- Redshirt sophomore Max Mircovich drove in two runs and stole his first base of the season.
- Sophomore Xavier Vargas drove in his 10th and 11th runs of the season in the win. He is one RBI behind Coutts, who currently leads the team with 12.
- Redshirt senior Laurence Hill singled, doubled and drove in a run.
- Junior Greg Cavaliere singled, walked and stole his team-leading sixth base of the year.
- Redshirt sophomore Josh Brodeur singled and scored a run for the Rams.
- Redshirt freshman Justin Cherry earned the win, allowing only one run on five hits. He averaged just 11 pitches per inning through eight complete frames.
- Redshirt senior Cam LaFleur closed things out with a scoreless ninth.
Rhode Island is back in action with a pair of midweek games at Quinnipiac (Tuesday) and Northeastern (Wednesday).