URI - RHP Ryan Twitchell (0-1, 4.09 ERA)
WSU - RHP Preston Snavely (1-2, 5.48 ERA)
URI - LHP Dom Grillo (0-0, 0.00 ERA)
WSU - RHP Tommy Barnhouse (0-1, 10.32 ERA)
URI - RHP Nick Robinson (0-2, 12.66 ERA)
WSU - TBA
URI - RHP Justin Cherry (0-0, 6.14 ERA)
WSU - TBA
RHODE ISLAND VS. WICHITA STATE
- The weekend series between Rhode Island and Wichita State will be the first-ever games between the two clubs.
- The Shockers enter the weekend with a 6-9 record, most recently defeating Oral Roberts (8-2) on Tuesday afternoon.
- Prior to that, Wichita State was swept by #10 Texas Tech in a three-game weekend set.
- In the American Athletic Conference's preseason poll, the Shockers were picked to finish seventh.
- The last time Rhody faced a member of the AAC, the Rams defeated UConn 4-3 (May 15, 2018).
LAST TIME OUT: RAMS SWEPT BY UTRGV
- Rhode Island traveled to Edinburgh, Texas to four games at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (March 1-3).
- The Rams lost all four games, falling 8-1 in the opener before dropping a Saturday doubleheader 15-3 and 9-5. In Sunday's finale, URI lead 6-4 heading into the bottom of the ninth, but game up three runs to allow UTRGV the walkoff win.
- Sophomore Austin White led the Rams' offense on the weekend, going 9-for-16 (.563) with two RBI and two runs scored.
- Sophomore Jackson Coutts also had at least one hit in each game, finishing the series 7-for-15 with two walks and four RBI.
- Redshirt senior Dom Grillo threw three scoreless innings of relief in Saturday's second game, striking out four with just one hit allowed.
- For the weekend, the Rams hit .255 with five extra-base hits (five doubles).
- Eleven different pitchers saw action for Rhode Island, combining for a 8.63 ERA.
- Eighteen of Rhode Island's first 19 games will be played on the road, including 13 in a row to open the season.
- The Rams will travel approximately 15,000 miles before playing their first home game.
- URI's home opener is set for Wednesday, March 20 when Sacred Heart visits Bill Beck Field for a midweek matchup.
- Rhody will then hit the road for its Atlantic 10-opening series at George Washington.
- The Rams will play 18 games outside of Rhode Island before hosting their first conference series (Fordham, March 29-31).
RAMS VS. THE NATION'S BEST
- Rhode Island has become known for its challenging non-conference schedules, traveling early each year to take on some of the nation's best competition.
- Rhody opened the 2019 season with a 2-1, 10-inning victory at perennial power Rice. The Rams followed with an 8-6 series opening win over Missouri, marking the third victory over an SEC team under head coach Raphael Cerrato.
- In 2018, the Rams opened the season with three games at #9 Texas A&M and later visited #1 Florida for three games as well as #28 Stetson for four games. Rhody nearly pulled off upsets against the Aggies and Gators, losing Game 2 to Texas A&M 4-3 and Game 3 to Florida 3-2. URI led both of those games heading into the bottom of the ninth inning, but lost in walk-off fashion.
- 2017, URI traveled to NC State for a single game against the sixth-ranked Wolfpack. The Rams left Raleigh with a 5-2 victory. Rhody went on to defeat Arkansas 3-0 in Fayetteville later that season.
- In 2016, Rhody opened up with a series at #14 Florida State before traveling to Maryland for a three-game set against the Terrapins, who were coming off back-to-back NCAA Super Regional appearances.
- In 2015, the Rams opened with a series at #2 Florida before traveling to #11 North Carolina, and taking Game 3 from the Tar Heels (6-3).
- In 2013, Rhode Island was the only team in the country to open the season with eight consecutive road games against top-10 teams. URI played three at #9 Florida State, three at #8 Ole Miss and two at #5 Mississippi State.
- In 2012, the Rams traveled to Tallahassee to take on the top-ranked Seminoles, marking the third year in a row that they faced the #1 team in the country (Florida-2011, Virginia-2010).
- In 2011, Rhody traveled to Founders Park to play defending national champion South Carolina. The Gamecocks went on to win the national title that year as well.