Rhode Island Lineup
Cavaliere (LF), Coutts (DH), Vargas (1B), Ulliana (C), Hill (3B), Fortin (2B), Coley (CF), Heiss (SS), White (RF), Wilson (P)
Comeaux (3B), Cruz (SS), DiCaprio (1B), Collins (C), Cox (CF), Gneiting (RF), Dunlap (DH), Beaulaurier (LF), Edwards (2B), Canterino (P)
How It Happened
Rhode Island (1-0) rallied on the road to defeat Rice, 2-1, in the season opener for both teams.
Rice (0-1) scored the first run of the night in the home half of the third. Aaron Beaulaurier led off with a walk and moved into scoring position on a groundout. With two outs, Trei Cruz singled up the middle to drive in Beaulaurier.
Rhode Island had runners in scoring position in the second, fifth and seventh innings. Its best chance came in the top of the fifth, when Laurence Hill singled and wound up at second base on an error. With two outs, Hill advanced to third, but he was stranded there.
The Rams tied the game in the ninth inning. Jackson Coutts led off with a single and was lifted for pinch runner Max Mircovich. With one out, Sonny Ulliana laced a double into the left field corner, and Mircovich came all the way around to knot the score.
In the bottom of the ninth, Rice got a one-out single from Antonio Cruz. Cade Edwards lined a two-out double to the gap in right center, but the relay from Austin White to Joe Fortin to Ulliana got Cruz at the plate to prevent the winning run and send the game to extra innings.
Rhody took its first lead of the game in the top of the 10th. Kevin Heiss singled with one out and moved to second on a groundout. Greg Cavaliere then grounded a ball between first and second that was fielded by Edwards. Edwards slipped as he rushed to throw though, and the ball went wide of the pitcher covering, which allowed Heiss to come around third and score the go-ahead run.
Cam LaFleur set the Owls down in order in the bottom of the 10th, recording a strikeout to end the game.
Inside the Box Score
- Sophomore Jackson Coutts singled twice, extending his reached-base streak to 37 consecutive games dating back to last season.
- Senior Kevin Heiss and redshirt sophomore Max Mircovich each crossed the plate for the Rams. Mircovich tied the game as a pinch runner in the ninth while Heiss singled and scored what proved to be the game-winning run in the 10th.
- Redshirt freshman Joe Fortin doubled in his first career at bat.
- Redshirt senior Laurence Hill singled and walked.
- Four Rhode Island pitchers combined to allow just one run on six hits. The bullpen threw 5.0 scoreless innings.
- Redshirt senior Tyler Wilson was strong in making the start. He gave up one run on three hits over 5.0 innings of work. Wilson struck out five and walked two.
- Senior Mark Silvestri provided 2.0 scoreless innings of relief, allowing just one hit and striking out a pair.
- Junior Jake Walker (1-0) got the win with 2.0 scoreless innings. He allowed two hits and hit a batter, but also induced a double play and struck out two.
- Redshirt senior Cam LaFleur had a spotless inning of work to earn his third career save.
- Redshirt freshman Joe Fortin and freshman Mark Coley both started in their respective collegiate debuts.
Rhode Island and Rice meet for Game 2 of the series Saturday evening at 5 p.m. (Eastern).