Rhode Island Lineup
Powell (CF), Foley (LF), Coutts (DH), Ulliana (C), Vargas (1B), McManus (2B), Ilario (RF), Heiss (SS), Hill (3B), Stathopoulos (P)
St. Bonaventure Lineup
O'Connor (SS), Magnanti (2B), MacCarrick (RF), Vaccaro (CF), Fuller (LF), Kelder (DH), Henshaw (1B), Stauffer (C), Schutz (3B), Nelson (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (24-27, 13-11 A-10) took a one-run lead into the ninth inning, but St. Bonaventure scored twice to grab 4-3 victory in the regular-season finale for both teams.
St. Bonaventure (10-33, 6-15 A-10) scored the first run of the game in the top of the second. Sam Fuller reached on an infield error and stole second base. The Rams appeared to have him picked off when he broke for third before Taso Stathopoulos started his delivery, but the throw to second went into centerfield, allowing Fuller to come around with the run.
Rhody tied the score in the bottom of the third inning. The Rams loaded the bases with a pair of walks sandwiched around a Jackson Coutts single. Xavier Vargas grounded a ball to second base, driving in Mike Foley to make the score 1-1.
St. Bonaventure pulled back ahead 2-1 in the top of the sixth when Mike Magnanti scored on a two-out single by David Vaccaro.
Rhody knotted the score back up by manufacturing a run in the bottom of the seventh. Foley got things started with a single before moving to second on a wild pitch and advancing to third when Sonny Ulliana reached on an error. Vargas then lifted a sacrifice fly into centerfield to bring Foley make it a 2-2 game.
The Rams went on to take their first lead of the game the bottom of the eighth, where Sam Ilario struck out, but reached when the third strike got away from St. Bonaventure catcher Ben MacDonald. Ilario then moved to second on a sacrifice bunt from Kevin Heiss, and advanced to third on a wild pitch. Laurence Hill followed with a a fly ball to left to bring in Ilario as the go-ahead run.
St. Bonaventure rallied in the ninth however, using back-to-back singles to get the potential tying and go-ahead runs on with no outs. A Rhody error on the ensuing sacrifice attempt loaded the bases. A fielder's choice grounder by Alexander Ferlenda brought in Sam Fuller to tie the game, 3-3. Jake Foden followed with an RBI groundout that plated what proved to be the game-winning win for the Bonnies.
Inside the Box Score
- Redshirt senior Taso Stathopoulos pitched 7.1 innings, allowing one earned run on six hits. He finished with seven strikeouts, including all three outs in the first inning.
- Senior Mike Foley doubled, singled, walked and scored twice.
- Sophomore Sonny Ulliana singled, walked twice and stole his first base of the season.
- Freshman Xavier Vargas drove a pair of runs.
- Senior Jordan Powell and sophomore Jackson Coutts each singled once.
- Redshirt junior Laurence Hill walked once and had one RBI.
- Junior Sam Ilario was hit by a pitch and scored a run.
- Between the two games of Friday's doubleheader, URI held a brief ceremony to recognize its six graduating seniors: Tyler Barss, Mike Foley, Nick Johnson, Matt Murphy, Jordan Powell and Taso Stathopoulos.
Rhode Island will wait for the results of the George Washington-Saint Louis series. The Rams need first-place Saint Louis to win both remaining games against the Colonials in order to get the seventh and final spot in the Atlantic 10 Championship. GW owns the head-to-head tiebreaker with Rhode Island.