Game 1: Rhode Island 6, Stetson 5
Rhode Island wasted no time getting on the scoreboard as Sonny Ulliana singled to left with two away in the first, driving in Austin White and giving the Rams an early advantage. An RBI single by Jackson Coutts plated Max Mircovich in the third before Ulliana scored on a fifth-inning single by Kevin Heiss to make it a 3-0 game.
Stetson threatened in the bottom of the fifth but the Rams escaped unharmed, riding the momentum into the sixth inning, where they tacked on three additional runs. Laurence Hill first scored on a sacrifice bunt by Brett McManus and White followed with a two-run double that scored both McManus and Josh Brodeur.
The Hatters got one run back in the bottom of the inning, and pushed across four more in the bottom of the seventh to make it a one-run game (6-5). Nick Johnson then entered the game and got a strikeout to end the inning with runners on first and second. Johnson went on to toss a scoreless eighth before Tyler Barss finished things off in the ninth for his first save of the season.
Game 2: Stetson 3, Rhode Island 2
Sonny Ulliana once again got the Rhody offense going, using a third-inning double to drive in both Max Mircovich and Jackson Coutts for the 2-0 advantage. The Rams held onto the lead until the bottom of the eighth when Stetson scored a pair of runs to even things up. The Hatters eventually put the game away in the bottom of the 11th, when Brooks Wilson scored from second on a base hit by Andrew MacNeil.
Inside the Box Score
- Sophomore Sonny Ulliana combined to go 4-for-9 on the day, doubling twice, driving in three runs and scoring one of his own.
- Freshman Jackson Coutts, junior Kevin Heiss and senior Jordan Powell all finished the doubleheader with three hits and a walk. Coutts and Heiss drove in one run each. Coutts also score one of his own.
- Freshman Austin White doubled, singled, walked, drove in two runs, scored once and stole a base.
- Redshirt freshman Max Mircovich scored a pair of runs.
- Sophomore Vitaly Jangols picked up the win in Game 1, while Tyler Barss earned the save.
- Senior Dom Grillo - Rhody's Game 2 starter - allowed just one hit and one walk over five shutout innings.
- Redshirt junior Cam LaFleur (2.2 IP), senior Nick Johnson (1.2 IP) and sophomore Nick Robinson (0.2 IP) combined for five innings of relief work without allowing an earned run.
The Rams and Hatters return to Melching Field to close out the series at noon on Sunday.