Rhode Island Lineup
Heiss (SS), Powell (CF), Cavaliere (DH), Vargas (1B), Ilario (RF), Mircovich (LF), Santos (3B), Beaulieu (C), Brodeur (2B), Murphy (P)
Someillan (CF), Armstrong (3B), Camacho (1B), Dubrule (SS), Southern (C), Fernandez (2B), Lehane (LF), Cassala (DH), Hunter (RF), Santana (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (2-7) stranded 13 base runners in a 3-1 loss to Jacksonville (6-4) Saturday night at Sessions Stadium.
Rhody struck first, getting on the board in the top of the first inning when Jordan Powell scored on a bases-loaded fielder's choice ball by Sam Ilario. The Dolphins evened it up in the bottom of the frame however, as an RBI single by Jacob Southern made it a 1-1 game.
The Rams went on to load the bases with one away - in both the third and eighth innings - but were unable to capitalize. Jacksonville meanwhile, used a two-out, two-run single to take the lead for good at 3-1 in the bottom of the fifth.
Inside the Box Score
- Rhody managed just six hits on the night but combined to draw eight walks.
- Nine of the 11 players to record an at-bat for the Rams reached base at least once.
- Senior Jordan Powell singled twice, was walked and scored Rhody's lone run of the game. He has now reached base in 46 consecutive games and has recorded at least one hit in 21 of URI's last 22 games.
- Redshirt junior Sam Ilario reached once on a walk and drove in his team-leading fifth run of the season.
- Junior Kevin Heiss also singled and drew a walk for the Rams.
- Sophomore Greg Cavaliere and redshirt freshman Alex Santos both were walked twice. Cavaliere also stole his fourth base of the season.
- Freshman Xavier Vargas was hit by a pitch and drew a walk.
- Redshirt senior Matt Murphy was charged with the loss, allowing three runs on seven hits over 4.1 innings. He struck out four and issued four walks.
- Redshirt senior Taso Stathopoulos (0.2 IP) and sophomores Jake Walker (1.0 IP) and Nick Robinson (2.0 IP) combined for 3.2 shutout innings with just four hits and one walk.
The Rams and Dolphins return to Sessions Stadium to close out the weekend series at 1 p.m. on Sunday.