Rhode Island Lineup
Brodeur (2B), Heiss (SS), Powell (CF), Cavaliere (LF), Vargas (1B), Ilario (DH), Mircovich (RF), Ulliana (C), Hill (3B), Wilson (P)
Someillan (CF), Armstrong (3B), Camacho (1B), Dubrule (SS), Southern (DH), Fernandez (2B), Lehane (LF), Cassala (C), Hunter (RF), Gau (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (2-6) was held scoreless for the first time this season, falling to Jacksonville 6-0 Friday night at Sessions Stadium. The Rams stranded eight base runners on the night, five of which were left in scoring position.
Jacksonville (5-4) got the only offense it would need in the bottom of the fourth, on a solo home run by Evan Fernandez. The Dolphins tacked on three more runs the following inning, scored once in the seventh and added another in eighth to seal the 6-0 victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Freshman Xavier Vargas went 2-for-4 on the night with a double and a triple.
- Senior Jordan Powell extended his reached-base streak to 45 straight games with a 2-for-4 night at the plate. Dating back to last season, he has recorded at least one hit in 20 of URI's last 21 games.
- Sophomore Sonny Ulliana also singled twice for the Rams.
- Redshirt junior Tyler Wilson was charged with the loss, allowing four runs on seven hits over 5.0 innings. He struck out four and walked two.
- Senior Dom Grillo tossed a 1-2-3 seventh inning for the Rams.
- Jacksonville starter Chris Gau picked up the win, striking out seven over seven innings.
- Sam Armstrong led the Dolphins at the plate, going 3-for-4 with two runs scored and an RBI.
The Rams and Dolphins return to the diamond for Game 2, Saturday at 6 p.m.