URI - LHP Tyler Wilson (0-1, 6.00 ERA)
JU - RHP Chris Gau (0-2, 7.36 ERA)
URI - RHP Matt Murphy (0-0, 0.69 ERA)
JU - RHP Tyler Santana (1-1, 3.00 ERA)
URI - RHP Vitaly Jangols (1-1, 2.92 ERA)
JU - RHP Mike Cassala (1-0, 0.75 ERA)
- Friday's series opener against Jacksonville will be just the second-ever meeting between the Rams and the Dolphins. JU previously defeated URI 7-2 on March 15, 1993.
- Jacksonville is coming off a 4-0 midweek loss to Florida State, which is ranked as high as #3 in this week's national polls.
- The Dolphins are led offensively by Scott Dubrule, who enters the weekend with a team-best .310 batting average.
- Sam Armstrong (3-2B) and Evan Fernandez (2-HR, 1-2B) lead the team in extra-base hits, but are hitting just .212 and .115, respectively.
- Ruben Someillan has drawn a team-high five walks and has swiped a team-leading three bags so far this season.
- The Redhawks will send a trio of righties to the mound this weekend. Chris Gau (Friday) is 0-2 with a 7.36 ERA over his first two starts this season. Tyler Santana (Saturday) is 1-1 with a .171 opposing average and a 3.00 ERA. Mike Cassala (Sunday) has held opponents to a .163 average while boasting a 0.75 ERA. Santana and Cassala both have pitched 12.0 innings so far this season.
- Chris Mauloni has two saves and a win in three relief appearances (6.0 IP). He owns a 0.00 ERA and a .107 opposing average.
Rhode Island (2-7)
- Rhode Island is back on the road ths weekend, traveling to Jacksonville for a three-game set against the Dolphins. The Rams have yet to play a home game this season, spending opening weekend at Texas A&M and last weekend at Seattle.
- After opening the 2018 campaign with five straight losses, the Rams closed out their west coast trip with back-to-back wins over Seattle (8-1, 4-2). Both of URI's losses to the Redhawks were by just one run (5-4, 2-1).
- In total, three of Rhody's five losses this season have been by a single run.
- Offensively, senior Jordan Powell leads the Rams with a .407 average, 11 hits and four stolen bases. He has reached base safely in each of his last 44 games played dating back to last season.
- Sophomore Greg Cavaliere has scored a team-best six runs so far this season, and is second (behind Powell) in total hits (8) and stolen bases (3). He is ranked among the nation's toughest players to strikeout out, having been K'd just once in 29 plate appearances.
- Redshirt senior Matt Murphy leads the Rhody pitching staff with a 0.69 ERA over 13.0 innings of work, however he is 0-0 over his two starts.
- Redshirt senior Taso Stathopoulos (1-0), redshirt junior Tyler Wilson (0-1) and sophomore Vitaly Jangols (1-1) each enter the weekend with 10 strikeouts.
- Senior reliever Nick Johnson has fanned seven with just one walk and three hits allowed over 3.2 shutout innings (three appearances).