Rhode Island Lineup
Brodeur (2B), Powell (CF), Cavaliere (LF), McManus (DH), Vargas (1B), Ulliana (C), Hill (3B), Foley (RF), Heiss (SS), Wilson (P)
Texas A&M Lineup
DeLoach (CF), Helman (2B), Shewmake (SS), Andritsos (1B), Bedford (C), Janca (3B), Frizzell (DH), Foster (LF), Schoenvogel (RF), Kolek (P)
How it Happened
Redshirt senior Taso Stathopoulos and redshirt sophomore Tyler Brosius combined for four shutout innings out of the bullpen in a 4-1 opening-night loss at #9 Texas A&M. Offensively, the Rams combined for nine hits on the night - just two shy of the Aggies' 11 - but struggled to advance the runners they put on.
On the flip side, Texas A&M (1-0) took advantage of timely hitting in the bottom of the second, sandwiching a single between a pair of doubles to take a 2-0 lead. Blaine Schoenvogel then crossed the plate on an RBI groundout by Michael Helman to put the Aggies up 3-0 after two complete.
Rhode Island (0-1) got a run back in the top of the fourth when Xavier Vargas singled to center to drive in Greg Cavaliere. Cavaliere had singled to lead off the inning before advancing to second on a failed pickoff attempt by Texas A&M's Stephen Kolek.
The Aggies pushed their lead back to three in the bottom of the fifth however, when Cole Bedford doubled down the right field line to score Chris Andritsos and make it a 4-1 game.
The Rams managed at least one hit in each of the next four innings, but stranded four runners through the final four frames.
Inside the Box Score
- Sophomore Greg Cavaliere and senior Jordan Powell both went 2-for-4 on the night. Cavalier also had a stolen base and scored the lone run of the game for the Rams.
- In his first at-bat of the night, Powell drove the first pitch he saw back up the middle to extend his hitting streak to 14 games, dating back to last season. He has now reached base in each of his last 38 games played.
- Freshman Xavier Vargas and redshirt freshman Josh Brodeur both earned the start in the first game of their respective collegiate careers. Both players singled for the Rams, with Vargas' fourth-inning base hit driving in Cavaliere.
- Redshirt junior Laurence Hill reached base twice - on a single and a walk. He also had a stolen base for the Rams.
- Making his first appearance since March 10, 2017, redshirt junior Tyler Wilson allowed four runs (all earned) over 4-plus innings of work. He gave up six hits and struck out three with two walks and a pair of hit batsmen.
- Redshirt senior Taso Stathopoulos tossed three shutout innings of relief, striking out three with five hits allowed.
- Redshirt sophomore Tyler Brosius followed with a scoreless eighth inning for the Rams.
- Stephen Kolek picked up the win for the Aggies, striking out 10 with just one run allowed over a 5.2-inning start.
- Attendance for opening night at Blue Bell Park was 6,169.
The Rams and Aggies return to Blue Bell Park for Game 2 of the series, Saturday at 2 p.m. Eastern.