Rhode Island Lineup
Powell (CF), Figueroa (C), Hess (2B), O'Neil (3B), Corin (LF), Ulliana (DH), McManus (1B), Foley (RF), Cavaliere (LF), Jangols (P)
Paparelli (LF), Angelini (CF), Gasper (C), Titus (SS), Wright (1B), Cruz (DH), Panno (3B), Ciliento (RF), Hart (2B), Theetge (P)
How it Happened
Bryant (29-23) scored one run in the second inning and another in the third to take an early 2-0 lead over the Rams.
Rhode Island (30-20) cut it in half in the bottom of the frame however, as Greg Cavaliere singled through the left side before coming around to score on a Jordan Powell double.
A two-run homer by Joe Paparelli put the Bulldogs up 4-1 in the top of the sixth, but Rhody came back and made it a one-run game in the bottom of the seventh. There, Mike Corin scored on a double by Sonny Ulliana, who later crossed the plate on a two-out single by Cavaliere.
Bryant pushed its lead to 5-3 in the top of the eighth as Mickey Gasper sent a solo shot over the right field wall, but Rhode Island came back once again, this time tying the score at 5-5 in the bottom of the ninth. Ulliana got the rally started with a leadoff single before being pinch-run for by Sam Ilario. Brett McManus then reached on a fielder's choice play that got Ilario at second, and Mike Foley singled through the left side to put the tying run on base. A wild pitch allowed both McManus to advance, setting up Jordan Powell's two-out, two-run single that evened the score at five apiece.
The Rams loaded the bases but got nothing in the bottom of the 10th, as did Bryant in the 11th, thanks to an inning-ending strikeout from Tyler Barss. Jake Walker ended the top of the 12th in similar fashion, fanning Tyler Panno with runners on second and third.
Rhody finally put the game away in the bottom of the 12th as Matt O'Neil led off the inning with a double to left center and advanced to third on an infield single by Corin. Brett McManus was then intentionally walked to load the bases for Mike Foley, who was drilled by a 2-1 offering to give the Rams the unorthodox walk-off win.
Inside the Box Score
- Overall, each of the 10 players Rhode Island sent to the plate got at least one hit as URI finished with 17 on the afternoon.
- Junior Jordan Powell went 3-for-6 with a double and three RBI. He has now reached base in 34 consecutive game and 45 of the 47 games in which he has recorded a plate appearance this season.
- Freshman Sonny Ulliana also turned in a 3-hit afternoon. He doubled, singled twice, scored once and drove in a run.
- Freshman Greg Cavaliere went 2-for-5 with a run scored and an RBI.
- Redshirt seniors Mike Corin and Matt O'Neil also finished with two hits apiece, while each scored a run.
- Redshirt junior Tyler Barss tossed three shutout innings - the 9th, 10th and 11th - allowing just two hits and striking out three.
- Freshman Jake Walker earned the win after striking out two in a scoreless 12th.
- Redshirt freshman Jake Rockefeller (0.2), redshirt sophomore Cam LaFleur (1.0) and junior Dom Grillo combined for 2.2 innings of scoreless relief. Rockefeller's two outs came on the only pitch he threw while LaFleur and Grillo each recorded a strikeout.
Rhode Island will return to action at next week's Atlantic 10 Championship, at the Billiken Sports Center in St. Louis, Mo. The Rams will enter the tournament as the #2 seed and will face the to-be-determined seventh seed, Wednesday at 2:30 p.m. (Eastern).