Rhode Island Lineup
Powell (CF), Foley (RF), Hess (2B), O'Neil (3B), Corin (LF), Figueroa (DH), McManus (1B), Cavaliere (C), Heiss (SS), Murphy (P)
Fabio (2B), Angelini (CF), Gasper (C), Titus (SS), Wright (1B), Panno (LF), Ciliento (RF), Cruz (DH), Hart (3B), Karinchak (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (29-20) struck first, as Chris Hess' solo homer gave the Rams a 1-0 lead in the top of the first inning. Two innings later, Mike Corin blasted a two-run shot to put Rhody on top 3-0.
Bryant (29-23) responded with eight runs in the bottom of the third however, four of which came on a grand slam by Nick Angelini. The Bulldogs then tacked on three more in the fourth before putting four on the board in the sixth to take a 15-3 lead over the Rams.
In the top of the seventh, Hess drove in a pair runs on his 20th double of the season, and later crossed the plate on a pinch-hit sac-fly by Sonny Ulliana to make it a 15-6 game. That was as close as the Rams would get however, as they left the bases loaded in the seventh and sent just three hitters to the plate in both the eighth and ninth.
Inside the Box Score
- Redshirt junior Chris Hess went 2-for-5 with a home run, a double, three RBI and two runs scored. He has now homered in back-to-back games for the Rams. Additionally, with his seventh-inning double, he became just the sixth player in program history to hit 20 or more doubles in a single season.
- Redshirt senior Mike Corin drew a pair of walks and homered as well, recording his Atlantic 10 leading 17th homer of the season. With 27 career home runs, he is just three shy of tying Mike Le Bel (2009-13) for Rhode Island's all-time record.
- Junior Jordan Powell singled, doubled, walked and scored a run. He has now reached base in 33 consecutive game and 44 of the 46 games in which he has recorded a plate appearance this season.
- Sophomore Brett McManus went 2-for-4 while junior Mike Foley and redshirt senior Matt O'Neil both singled and scored a run.
- Redshirt junior starter Matt Murphy was charged with the loss, allowing eight runs (seven earned) over 2.2 innings of work. He allowed five hits, one walk and struck out three.
- Redshirt senior Ben Wessel and freshmen Connor Romano and Nick Robinson each tossed an inning of scoreless relief.
Rhode Island wraps up regular-season play at The Beck, tomorrow afternoon against Bryant. First pitch is set for 3 p.m.