Rhode Island Lineup
Powell (CF), Foley (RF), Hess (2B), O'Neil (3B), Corin (1B), Ulliana (DH), Hill (LF), Cavaliere (C), Johnson (P)
Prato (SS), Toppa (LF), Susi (DH), Feldstein (RF), Hahn (3B), Hill (2B), Stefanski (CF), LeFevre (C), Winkel (1B), Poulin (P)
How it Happened
After four scoreless innings, Rhode Island (29-19) broke the 0-0 deadlock with a three-run fifth. Mike Corin got things started with a leadoff single up the middle and Greg Cavaliere and Kevin Heiss later recorded back-to-back two-out knocks to load the bases with Rams. Jordan Powell followed with a single to center that drove in Corin, before a two-run single by Mike Foley - which plated both Cavaliere and Heiss - put Rhode Island on top 3-0.
That was the extent of the offense for URI however, as UConn (29-22) went on to retire the Rams in order in the sixth, seventh, eighth and ninth.
Meanwhile, the Huskies slowly chipped away at Rhody's lead, scoring once in the seventh and once in the eighth to make it a 3-2 game. Closer Tyler Barss got a ground out and a strikeout to start the bottom of the ninth, but a two-out single, followed by a Rhode Island error, allowed the tying run to cross the plate.
Connecticut then put things away in the bottom of the 10th as Alex LeFevre singled up the middle with two away, driving in Willy Yahn and giving the Huskies the walkoff win.
Inside the Box Score
- The loss marked the first time this season the Rams lose when leading after eight innings. Prior to today, Rhody was 24-0 when leading after eight.
- The 4-3 loss also marked URI's ninth one-run defeat this season. Overall, the Rams are 6-9 in one-run games.
- Redshirt senior Mike Corin and junior Mike Foley each went 2-for-4 in the loss. Foley also drove in a pair of runs while Corin scored once.
- Junior Jordan Powell singed and drove in a run for the Rams. He has now reached base in 32 consecutive game and 43 of the 45 games in which he has recorded a plate appearance this season.
- Rhody's eight and nine hitters - freshman Greg Cavaliere (8) and sophomore Kevin Heiss (9) - each went 1-for-3 with a run scored.
- Redshirt junior Chris Hess recorded his 19th double of the season to move into fifth all-time at Rhode Island with 75 career extra-base hits.
- Junior starter Nick Johnson tossed four shutout innings for the Rams, allowing just three hits and one walk.
- Johnson was replaced by junior Dom Grillo, who struck out three with zero hits allowed over two innings of relief.
- Redshirt junior Tyler Barss was charged with the loss. He struck out three, but walked one and gave up two runs (one earned) over the final 2.1 innings.
Rhode Island returns to action on Thursday afternoon at Bryant. First pitch is set for 3 p.m.