Rhode Island Lineup
Powell (CF), Foley (RF), Hess (2B), O'Neil (3B), Corin (LF), Ulliana (DH), McManus (1B), Cavaliere (C), Heiss (SS), Jangols (P)
George Mason Lineup
Smith (SS), Sturek (CF), Acker (LF), Driscoll, L. (C), Kelly (1B), Nelin (RF), Popatak (3B), Driscoll, G. (DH), Aponte (2B), Marconi (P)
How it Happened
George Mason (23-29, 11-9 A-10) put four runs on the board in the top of the first, but Rhode Island (29-17, 17-5 A-10) responded with four of its own in the bottom half of the inning, thanks to a pair of two-run homers - one each by Chris Hess and Sonny Ulliana.
The Rams (5) and Patriots (6) combined for just 11 base-runners through the next eight innings. Rhody managed to put a runner in scoring position twice, as did Mason, but neither team was able to break the deadlock until Tyler Nelin sent one over the left field wall in the top of the sixth.
Brian Marconi then retired the Rams in order in the sixth, seventh and eighth, before Tyler Tobin closed things out with a scoreless ninth.
Inside the Box Score
- Redshirt junior Chris Hess hit his fourth home run of the season - a two-run shot in the bottom of the first inning. He now leads the team with 25 extra-base hits on the season (18-2B/3-3B/4-HR).
- Freshman Sonny Ulliana also hit a two-run homer in the bottom of the first. It was his second long ball of the series.
- Redshirt senior Matt O'Neil went 2-for-4 with a run scored, extending his hitting streak to seven consecutive games.
- Junior Jordan Powell singled and scored a run to extend his reached-base streak to 31 straight games. He has now been on base in 42 of the 44 games in which he has recorded a plate appearance this season.
- In his first plate appearance of the series, senior Martin Figueroa drew a two-out, pinch-hit walk in the bottom of the ninth.
- Redshirt senior Blaise Whitman threw 2.2 innings of no-hit relief, lowering his ERA to 1.40 on the season.
- Freshman Vitaly Jangols got off to a shaky start, allowing four runs (three earned) in the first inning. After the shaky start, he went on to retire 11 of the next 12 hitters he faced without issuing a walk or allowing any additional runs.
- Junior Dom Grillo was charged with the loss as he was responsible for Tyler Nelin's sixth-inning home run, which proved to be the difference.
- Brian Marconi (8.0 IP) picked up the win for the Patriots while Tyler Tobin worked a scoreless ninth to secure his fifth save of the season.
The Rams return to action on Tuesday afternoon at UConn. First pitch between the Rams and Huskies is set for 3:30 p.m.