Apr 20, 2017
URI – RHP Taso Stathopoulos
GW – RHP Brady Renner
URI – RHP Matt Murphy
GW – RHP Elliott Raimo
URI – RHP Vitaly Jangols
GW – RHP Robbie Metz
- GW enters the weekend with a 19-19 overall record. With a 4-5 mark in Atlantic 10 play, the Colonials are currently in eighth place in the conference standings with the top seven teams qualifying for the A-10 tournament.
- George Washington has won four of its last six games, all of which have been non-conference matchups. The last time out however, GW dropped an 8-4 decision at Towson.
- Five of the Colonials' starters are hitting .300 or better: Bobby Campbell (.354), Nate Fassnacht (.333), Joey Bartosic (.313), Robbie Metz (.308) and Andrew Selby (.304).
- Campbell is the team's top power threat with a team-best .528 slugging percentage and 13 extra-base hits, including 13 home runs. He also leads the club in both RBI (32) and is second overall in runs scored (27).
- Faasnacht has GW's best on-base percentage at .413 while Bartosic is 17-of-20 in stolen base attempts.
- Mark Osis, who leads the Colonials with 12 doubles and 28 runs scored, also has enters the weekend with double-digit steals (13).
- Brady Renner (5-3) will have the ball for the series opener in search of his team-leading sixth win of the season. He owns a 2.05 ERA over 52.2 innings pitched and is holding opponents to a .240 average.
- Jaret Edwards leads the team in relief appearances, with 17, while Eddie Muhl has recorded a team-best seven saves in 16 appearances.
- The Rams enter the weekend in second place in the Atlantic 10 with an 8-3 conference record. Overall, Rhody is 19-15.
- URI has combined to score 30 runs in its last two games - a 16-5 win at Richmond and a 14-13 victory at Hartford.
- Rhode Island has played 28 of its 34 games so far this season on the road. The Rams have gone 5-1 in their six home games.
- Three players are hitting .330 or better for the Rams: Chris Hess (.353), Jordan Powell (.341) and Matt O'Neil (.331).
- Hess leads the team in hits (49), runs (27), doubles (10) and stolen bases (10) while O'Neil is slugging an impressive .636 with nine home runs, five doubles and two triples.
- Mike Corin also has homered nine times this season, in addition to eight doubles for a team-best 17 extra-base hits.
- None of URI's three weekend starters actually pitched for the Rams last season. Junior Taso Stathopoulos (Friday) missed the 2016 season with an injury, redshirt junior Matt Murphy (Saturday) sat out the season after transferring to Rhode Island from Division II Assumption and freshman Vitaly Jangols was still in high school.
- In three starts since returning from injury, Stathopoulos is 1-0 with a 1.00 ERA.
- Jangols owns a 5-1 record, two saves and 0.70 ERA over 25.2 innings pitched, including three starts.
- Redshirt senior Blaise Whitman has been the Rams' go-to arm out of the pen. He owns a 1.91 ERA over a team-high 28.1 innings of relief.
- Redshirt junior Tyler Barss leads the team in saves, with seven.