Rhode Island Lineup
Hess (2B), Figueroa (C), Powell (CF), Corin (LF), O'Neil (3B), Hill (DH), McManus (1B), Foley (RF), Heiss (SS), Murphy (P)
William & Mary Lineup
Hall (RF), Large (2B), Miconi (DH), Smith (C), Raquet (LF), Ameer (CF), Trehub (1B), Pearson (3B), Wrighte (SS), Sheehan (P)
How it Happened
William & Mary scored early and often, scoring two runs in the second and third innings and a single run in the fifth en route to a 7-3 victory over Rhode Island Saturday afternoon.
Despite getting runners on base in each of the first three innings, Rhode Island (6-10) was unable to score until the top of the fifth. Mike Foley's first home run of the season led off the frame and trimmed Rhody's deficit to 5-1. However, the Rams never got any closer, as William & Mary (11-7) extended the lead to 9-1 with a two run triple from Brandon Raquet in the bottom of the seventh.
The loss was Rhode Island's third this season to William & Mary in as many games.
Inside the Box Score
- Junior Jordan Powell led Rhode Island with three hits, including his first two doubles of the year. He also scored one run.
- It was the fifth multi-hit game of the season for Powell.
- Sophomore Brett McManus had a pair of singles.
- Junior Mike Foley had a solo home run and two runs batted in. His second RBI came on a sacrifice fly.
- Redshirt junior Chris Hess and Redshirt senior Matt O'Neil each had one single. O'Neil also drove in one run, scored once and stole a base.
- Senior Martin Figueroa was hit by a pitch and stole a base. It was his third steal of the season.
- Junior Matt Murphy started and took his second loss of the season, allowing five runs, all earned, in .
- Redshirt senior Blaise Whitman pitched 3.1 innings of relief, allowing two runs. He is now tied with junior Tyler Barss with a team-high seven appearances.
- William & Mary starter Bodie Sheehan (4-1) pitched 6.2 innings, allowing one run on four hits. He struck out 11.
The Rams and Tribe return to Plumeri Park for the finale of the three-game series Sunday at 1 p.m.