Rhode Island Lineup
Cavaliere (C), Powell (CF), Hess (2B), O'Neil (3B), Corin (RF), Ulliana (DH), Ilario (LF), McManus (1B), Hill (SS), Walker (P)
William & Mary Lineup
Hall (RF), Miconi (DH), Large (2B), Smith (C), Ameer (CF), B. Raquet (LF), Ryan (3B), Wrighte (SS), Goldak (1B), N. Raquet (P)
How it Happened
After five and a half scoreless frames, Rhode Island (5-6) finally broke the deadlock in the bottom of the sixth when an RBI single by Matt O'Neil plated Chris Hess, who had singled and stolen second. O'Neil later stole second as well, but was stranded there after back-to-back strikeouts ended the inning.
William & Mary (4-4) pulled ahead in the top of the eighth however, scoring twice on three hits and a walk.
The Rams loaded the bases in the bottom half of the inning, but were unable to push any runs across, and then went down in order in the bottom of the ninth.
The 2-1 loss marked Rhody's sixth one-run game so far this season. In those games, the Rams are 3-3.
Inside the Box Score
- Freshman starter Jake Walker allowed just three hits over 6.2 scoreless innings. He struck out two and walked a pair, allowing just one of the last 12 hitters he faced to reach base.
- Redshirt junior Chris Hess scored Rhody's only run in the loss, on a sixth-inning RBI single by Matt O'Neil.
- Redshirt sophomore Laurence Hill was the lone Ram with multiple hits, going 2-for-4 at the plate.
- Redshirt sophomore Cam LaFleur took the loss, giving up two runs (both earned) on two hits and a walk over two thirds of an inning. He was replaced in the eighth by redshirt senior Blaise Whitman, who allowed one single before retiring the next five batters in order.
- Ryan Hall and Ryder Miconi each crossed the plate for the Tribe.
- William & Mary reliever reliever Charlie Sletcher earned the win while Robert White picked up the save.
The Rams return to action next weekend when they travel to Arkansas for a three game series against the Razorbacks.